6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 2:05 PM by Pete Yodis

Backing up the local cache of checked out files

Jason Capriotti

One concern we have here is the local cache, particularly for checked out files. It's not uncommon for the users to have checked out files for long stretches of time (sometimes months). I hound them on checking them in from time to time but when you have a 100 or so users, there's always some that forget being so busy on projects.

So what's the solution? Local external hard drive backups? Backup local checked out files to a server? Corporal punishment? Month in the hole.....err...we're already in the cube so nevermind that one.

I thought about a local backup drives for everyone but management isn't too keen on the cost involved. And the argument is that the user should be checking in the files in the first place. But you know people will forget, and it won't matter if they get written up or even fired, major work could be lost and shouldn't we protect against that? The other solution is to create user folders on some hidden server and have some script run on a schedule and copy the checked out files to the server once or twice a day thus minimizing potential data loss. We already have a server so this is a less costly route, it just takes more effort to setup scheduled tasks and a program to do the copying.

What do you guys do regarding this?

• Re: Backing up the local cache of checked out files
          Tim Webb

Hi Jason

I have used your recommendation below before.

The other solution is to create user folders on some hidden server and have some script run on a schedule and copy the checked out files to the server once or twice a day thus minimizing potential data loss.

I try to manage the bulk, force the outliers into the bulk or make them someone else's problem.

Also, when the majority of users are doing something non-approved, I do NOT fight them. Find a way to leverage their behavior to better the business. Otherwise, you die on hills where it doesn't count.

Good luck bud.

Hope it helps.

Tim

Pete Yodis

Jason,

This free tool from MS might be of use (SyncToy).  Its easy and only copies changed files once everything is backed up.  This might work nicely with user folders on hidden servers...  SycnToy can be set to run at scheduled times using the task scheduler in Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Pete

Kip Speck

Jason,

This has always been a concern for the IT minded people.  This is a conundrum that we deal with routinely.

What to do?

Local Drive Cache:

1. Cached files are locally stored and this help performance. (debatable to some)

2. Cached files that are checked out are not backed up.

3. Local Drive failure means lost work, this also wreaks havoc on checked out files that have to be dealt with by the Admin.

4. Local drive creates some I.P. issues, tracking user actions is a little more difficult.

The alternative is to use a Network User Share.

1. Cached files are on the Network share, (may cause a performance decrease.)

2. Cached files that are checked out can be backed up with no issues.

3. User Local View should be "For them Only" not "For All Users"

4. Mobile users would need VPN or network access when not at the office.

I know of companies that do this, and they are very happy with it. 

You could have a mixed environment, but be careful that the Drive letters for things like Toolbox need to be consistent if they are not managed by EPDM.

Good luck,

--Kip Speck