17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 4:32 PM by Keith Vittitoe

"Material is not defined for one or more components."

Sean Leo

Hello All,

Everytime I tried to run a simulation, I keep getting this message "material is not defined for one or more components." I've created two new custom materials: normal weight concrete (150 pcf) and insulation I've created just regular blocks and did a thermal simulation using the new materials I've introduced. Everything ran smoothly; however, in my actual model I cannot run a thermal analysis. I've also tried to alter all the parts with solidworks material and I get the same problem.

I'm using SolidWorks 2011 so if you plan on editing my model, please save it in a 2011 compatible version.

Please help!! Thank you!

• Re: "Material is not defined for one or more components."
          Jared Conway

What happens with a brand new study?

What happens If you reapply the materials in simulation? Or reapply the materials to all the parts and then create a new simulation study ?

Keith Vittitoe

Sean,

Hello.  As you may know, sometimes the SW error message doesn't explain itself very well or, as in this case, is misleading.  This error pops up sometimes when there is a meshing issue and I think that is the case here - middle and right manhole 3-1 light up when I run the mesh.  I get the meshing error using SW2014b3.  I didn't dive into the details, but when I exclude SolidBody 3 from middle manhole 3-1 and SolidBody 1 from right manhole 3-1, the mesh completes (remesh with incompatible mesh for failed parts is set ON).  Also, when I switch to Standard mesh from Curvature based, the entire model lights up with errors - even the regular, rectangular pieces.  I think the slightly smaller "lids" on the manholes and the relatively thin-walled pipes inside are creating a challenge for meshing.

Best Regards,

Keith

Sean Leo

Hello Keith,

It does seem like the right manhole 3-1 is causing a meshing problem. I had it set as between coarse and mesh and incompatible mesh for failed parts so I did not run into that problem. It works when I delete the right manhole 3-1. I do not know what's wrong with this manhole, is there any possible way you can tell me? I've checked interferences and it is 0.

Thanks!

Keith Vittitoe

Sean,

It looks like reapplying the material solved the issue with meshing (?).  Let me know if you still need help.

Best Regards,

Keith

Sean Leo

Hi Keith,

Sorry I actually made a typo and meant to say reapplying the materials does not work. I've simplified my model and divided into two sections and re-applied the materials on the smaller model and it works. My overall large model still receives the error message and I do not know why. Maybe because the model is  too large?

Not sure.

Thank you for your help!

Keith Vittitoe

Sean,

Hello.  Thank you for the clarification.  I'll go over where I am:

When I run the mesh (not the study) in SW2014b3, I get meshing errors on manhole 3-1, not material errors.

When you run simplified models with the new materials, the study completes.

When the study is run with the full assembly, you get an error regarding materials.

Since I get a meshing error in 2014b3 and there is a known issue in older SW versions regarding meshing even though the error mentions missing material, I'm leaning towards a meshing issue.

When I merge the "lid" so manhole 3 has one solid body and I run the mesh using Fine mesh density (slider all the way to the right) + Cuvature based + Remesh failed parts with incompatible mesh, the mesh completes without errors.

So, I don't think the model is too large, I think the model is difficult to mesh - large, flat manholes and relatively small, round pipes - lots of opportunites for the mesh to transition.  As you already figured out, a simplified assembly should fix things.  I attached a screenshot of the completed study.

Best Regards,

Keith

Jared Conway

hi sean, unfortunately i don't have 2011 installed on my system anymore. in 2014 i can't even get the model to mesh. so i'm not able to check your model.

i'd suggest eliminating components from the simulation to narrow down which components are causing the problems. from there you can try determining why the error is happening. you might also want to try confirming it isn't your study or model by applying a library material to all of them. for example alloy steel.

a couple other comments:

1. you have no way for the heat to leave your model, this is goign to cause you more problems down the line.

2. looks like you could leverage some symmetry here. that would really help solve time and reduce the mesh size.

3. you might want to consider some additional defeaturing.