6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 4:01 AM by Rogier Van Rossen

Keyboard Shortcuts Quit Working

Glenn McAfee

SolidWorks Premium 2012 (x64) SP 5 and now Premium 2013 (x64) SP 3.0

Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1

HP Z400 Workstation w/ 8 GB RAM and NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 graphics card

Occasional problem - For no apparent reason, keyboard shortcuts stop working.  Requires restarting SolidWorks to restore them.

Examples include ctrl+Q (force regen) and ctrl+O (open file) merely beep.  No error messages.  This "feels" like a Windows resource issue, but I can't confirm.  The SolidWorks Resource Monitor never alerts.

Also, we are running Adept (a revision control database) from Synergis Software, which is integrated into SolidWorks as an add-in and generates an Adept task pane.  Recently upgraded Adept from 2011 to 2014, but the problem occurred with both versions.  I honestly can't remember if this occurred before using Adept.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

• Re: Keyboard Shortcuts Quit Working
          John Burrill

Sounds like Adept is taking over some of your keyboard shortcuts.  I've seen this happen with SolidWorks compsoser and the 3DConnexion software. 

I would unload the adept add-in and run a tset to see if that's the case.

Glenn McAfee

John:

Thanks for the feedback.  Since posting the question, I started asking around in the Engineering area, and it would appear that this is only happening to me.  Since everyone here is running with Adept integrated, I’m really beginning to suspect a Windows issue on my machine.

Glenn McAfee

I should add that, because this happens so infrequently, I would have to stay disconnected from Adept too long to be able to submit my designs.

John Burrill

Well, if it's a Windows profile issue, one way to test that would be to log on as a different user, recreate (don't use CopySettingsWizard) your shortcuts and test them.

If they work with the Adept add-in loaded, then it would seem that you have a corrupt Windows profile.  That happens to everyone eventually (I conjecture).  The remedy is to have your IT admin delete your domain profile from your work-station and re-issue it.  You can use Windows easy transfer to recover your desktop icons and stuff, but becuase the user settings are registry-resident, you should recreate them.

Alternatively, try doing a System Restore to a date before the shortcuts stopped working.

Glenn McAfee

While that would be a valid test and a probable solution, it would take days of someone else logged into my machine to determine.  It would take much less time to simply blow away my profile and start over.  A system restore would have to go back months, not days, and I can't be sure when this started showing up.

I was originally pursuing this to be able to provide a solution to others in our organization, who were experiencing the problem.  But now, it appears that I may be the only one.  For now, since this is not a crippling problem, restarting SolidWorks whenever the problem occurs seems to be the simplest solution.

I also plan to note the time of the next occurance, then look through the event log for any red flags.

I appreciate all the great feedback you have provided.

Rogier Van Rossen

Just a suggestion:

I occasionaly had problems with the keyboard switch in windows.

There is a shortcut that changes your keyboard layout to another language/layout.

if it happens, check out your language settings to see what keyboard is active.

hope it helps.