10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 11:38 AM by James Biggs

why???

Tom Jones

Why cant Solidworks be awesome like Unigraphics?

• Re: why???
          Ian Worrall

Because.

Glenn Schroeder

Define awesome.

Roland Schwarz

Good--Fast--Cheap: Pick two.  Every engineer knows that.

Joe Kuzich

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that Unigraphics was good & fast, but not cheap & required more maintenance.  I thought that was the main reason people went to SW, a more affordable software that needed less maintenance. My experience does not include Unigraphics so I very well may be off.  I'm solely basing this on hearsay but I'm curious.

John Burrill

Tom, If Unigraphics is the best solution for you, that's exactly what you should use.  If you can't find a single advantage to using SolidWorks instead of Unigraphics, then there is nothing served by your forcing yourself to use SolidWorks.

I had to stop using AutoCAD, change jobs, mothball 5 years of expertise, give up LISP programming and start over with SoildWorks and I did it because I made the same assessment you're making. 

If it's not that cut-and-dried, then start submitting enhancment requests.  I've put in over a hundred.  Of those, probably 25 have been implemented and I've got queued up another 50 to send in when I have a free afternoon.

Roland Schwarz

After going from UG to Pro/E to SW, I sized it up thusly...

SW lets you play.

Pro/E let's you play doctor.

UG/NX lets you play god.

(Though in recent years, it seems that SW and Pro/E--Creo are more equivalent.)

Tom Jones

Someone much smarter than myself made the decision to switch to SW.  We still use UG for the "complex" designs, however. 

Coming from UG is like living in a world with no rules and more importantly no chaos.  SW has rules rules rules! 

Roland pretty much summed it up exactly.

Roland Schwarz

I came up with that analogy because Pro/E was more powerful than SW, but you still needed to edit within the feature tree.  You could do surgery, but you had to keep the "patient" on life support.

UG allowed us to tear model limb-from-limb, rip out the brain, stick the parts back together (or even other new parts) and breathe new life back in.

James Biggs

Makes me want to use UN/NX honestly.. i get completelty frustrated with solidworks limitations sometimes.. I spend as much time finding work arounds to fix things as I do anything else..

Still hard to beat sw for cost, and its not to bad really.

Christian Chu

Why??? Try BudDry

just kidding - Before switching to SW 5 yrs ago, I was a Autodesk Vet. some complains but I finally accepted and now I'm very happy with SW - If you get $$$, go with whatever you like, otherwise, be it - The truth is, some are still driving Yugo while they really like Lamborghini