7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 10:03 AM by Peter Ham

newbie here , need help

Max Sinbel

hi

trying to learn solidworks but gut stuck in few things

in the file attached two sketches

1 , there are 2 points almost touching each other at the end of the blue and red sketches , how can i make them perfectly touching ?

2. how can i make the blue sketch follow the contour of the top side red sketch ?

you i have a top and side view of an object but i cant really make an object out of it

thanks for your time and help

• Re: newbie here , need help
          Thomas Vasse

I can't open your part due to future version.

Blue = underdefined

Red = overdefined

This means the sketch has to much relations.

If you want to let the points perfectly touch, hold control and select the points. Then on your right you must click "Coincident"

Please post a screenshot to let me see the contour of the part you are referring to.

~Thomas

Wayne Schafer

Is this what you are trying to accomplish?

John Burrill

Max,

Making two ponits precisely "touch" is a mater of editing the sketch10 and adding a relation to make the corner point on that sketch coincident to the corner point of Sketch3.

It's not entirely clear what you want your final geometry to look like owing to the fact that you have two simplified views of the object in question.  As you learn how to work with more feature types and geometry solutions you'll develope the vocabulary and conceptual understanding to precisely describe your intent.

However, one way to produce a part from front and top view sketches is to extrude one sketch to make a base prism and then cut-extrude the other sketch with the "side to cut" flipped.  this is a basic boolean approach and there are several ways to go about it.

newbie_kickstarter.PNG

Now, what you're asking about are the basic concepts of SolidWorks and solid modeling in general and it's really important to learn all of those before attempting tasks of any complexity.  I recommend that you start by going through the tutorials included with SolidWorks and if possible, attend a class at your local college or SolidWorks dealer.  Since you're using the commercial version of the program, I'll assume you're learning SolidWorks to increase your value to your current employer.  I suggest talking to your boss or the engineering supervisor about your ambitions and try to get their support and advice. 

Good luck

Oh-and welcome to the forums.

Max Sinbel

thanks John and Wayne

John all your advice are in progress, i am schedualed for a SW trainning very soon but i am ahead of things and trying to learn alone .

actually i am trying to reverse engineer a motorcycle part , have photos from different angles and trying to figure whats the best way to do it ,

i have been working with cad before (ironcad) but SW is very different and powerful as well , that why were switching now ,

here are some photos of the part i am trying to make

Thomas Vasse

I would recommend the basic solidworks tutorial for starters. They have given me a great fundation to build on. They are in dutch and im not licensed to hand them out. But you could use this and other sites to help you out more

http://www.solidworkslessons.info/

Peter Ham

Hi Max,

I would say the typical method used to approach shapes such as the one you have shown in the photos would be surface modelling.

Surface modelling tends to be used for components which have curvature in multiple directions.

It is a more complex field of modelling, but allows you to create shapes which are very difficult or even imopssible  to create with the solid modelling tools.

Solid modelling is the best place to start to pick up the fundamentals of the software, but if this part is typical of the components you will be modelling, then you will want to look at surfacing tutorials and information.