5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 10:25 AM by Kelvin Lamport

Proper computer settings for SW2013

Kenneth Marah

I am trying to find how others set up their computers to enhance the performance of solidworks.  The company that I work for has recently purchased and is running Dell Precision T5600 for the whole engineering department.  all computers are exactly the same with all specs exceeding the system requirements for SW2013.  I however am the only one that uses photoview 360,  we have been using these computers for about 6 months know and I have had no problems until yesterday. while using photoview 360 my whole system became froze and flashed to a white screen for about 10 seconds and then shut down solidworks. know all of the sudden solidworks is very slugish and when manipulating a model the model will stop moving and a small rectangular box appears around the cursor with the model moving within that rectangle but not in the rest of the viewing field. along with a few other little things that would be too hard to explain.  at first i thought that maybe i fried the graphics card but all is well there (I have checked my self along with our "I.T" department)  the graphics card is a NIVIDIA Quadro 4000 and nothing else seems to be affected only solidworks.  with all of that said I guess I am looking for a possible solution to the issue or at least someone to point me in the right direction on how to resolve this issue.

thank you 

• Re: Proper computer settings for SW2013
          Jeremiah Griffith

Kenneth,

Have you checked the graphics card drivers for your machine? Make sure that you are running a solidworks approved driver. Running SolidWorks RX will check this quickly.

I also run a similar system (T7500) and had issues with the preloaded drivers at first.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Kenneth Marah

Jeremiah,

thank you for the suggestion, I just ran the RX and it did tell me that the driver was not tested, and I am currently downloading a driver through the link on the RX, hopefully this will work.  would you happen to know or have any idea as to why it is now that i am having an issue, I have been running this machine for a while now and have had no issue until yesterday.

thank you again,

Ken

Jeremiah Griffith

Graphics Drivers are finnicky. I had users running untested drivers for a long time without issues, and then just like you, all of a sudden they did something that taxed the driver and started having issues. I've had others who have had issues straight out of the box.

My only recommendation is to completely uninstall the OLD drivers before installing the new ones.

Uninstall the driver, restart, and then install the new driver, restart, and test.

Leaving the old driver in place (Installing over it) can also cause issues as we have found in our experience.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Kenneth Marah

Jeremiah,

thank you very much for the info.....as soon as this driver downloads I will give everything a try.

again thank you

Ken

Kelvin Lamport

The "small rectangular box" problem is caused by Windows (?) activating a non-Aero theme. Right-click on your desktop, select Personalize, and then select an Aero theme. I don't know what triggers the Aero theme to be deactivated. It is annoying when it keeps happening, but the fix is easy.