3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 11:28 AM by Jared Conway

Advanced control methods in nonlinear

C. Manikandan

Hi All,

We can find buckling load factor in nonlinear analysis through arc control method but while using force control method, the study will stop when the buckling is predicted more.

But while iam doing this, By using arc control method the buckling load factor falls below 1 and so buckling is expected. At this time if we use force control method the solution will stop but when iam doing, it didn't happen. I dont  know the reason can anyone help me regarding this. thank you

• Re: Advanced control methods in nonlinear
          Jared Conway

are you asking if it is possible to switch between arc and force control?

C. Manikandan

If the buckling load factor falls below 1 like 0.9, 0.85... it ensures that we used the arc control method. Because at this situation force control method stops before the iteration solved.

It is clear that when higher buckling is expected we use arc control method and if force method used the solver is stopped.

But i tried this, I cant get any failure whatever the higher value I give, the solver solves and gives results.

I saw in knowledge base, it says force control fails when the buckling load factor is lower ( below 1 ), in my study it does not happen why?

Jared Conway

i'd suggest speaking with your reseller on this one. i'm having troubling following.

or, another thing that i'd recommend is setting up a problem that is similar to yours but significantly simplified. make sure it works there. if it doesn't, post the model with all those studies in it, describe them and then we can all take a look at what might be going on. if you can choose a problem with a known answer, that would be good to know whether it is software or your expectation that is the issue.