6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2013 3:19 PM by Sloan Anderson

Die Lines for Labeling.

Sloan Anderson

Hello,

I've got a cylindrical bottle I need to create very precise die lines for to use in labeling design.  The trick is: the bottle top is sliced by a tilted plane, so the height of the cylinder is non-uniform, not to mention there is a slight upward/outward draft to the entire bottle for mold ejection.  That being said, I'm trying to find a way to create a flattened version of the non-uniform outside face of the cylinder so I can have the artists design a label that perfectly matches this shape.  Any ideas as to how to do this very accurately and somewhat quickly? In other packages, it's as simple as picking the target face and flattening it to a 2D CAD drawing for PDF/AI export.  Can't figure it out in SW!

Hope you can help!

--Sloan

• Re: Die Lines for Labeling.
          Lenny Bucholz

You will have to use the other software, unless you get one of the partner add-ins like logopress for this function.

sometimes like is a machine shop you need more than one tool to do your job. sorry.

Anna Wood

Sloan,

You may be able to Convert or Insert Bends to convert into a sheet metal part. Hard to say without seeing your model.

If you can post your part that would help.

Cheers,

Anna

Sloan Anderson

Ahh, the bummer is it's all NDA protected work right now! Drag haha.  BUT, really we're just talking about a cylindrical bottle with a tilted slice plane (about 15-degrees or so) essentially "sawing" off the upper part of the cylinder at an angle, and the entire cylinder itself is extruded with a 1-degree outward draft angle from bottom to top.  So essentially it's a conical shape, and I'm just trying to flatten out the outside wrapped face into a 2D drawing. Imagine your standard plastic Solo cup, but top sawed off at a tilted angle; looking for best practices to create a label die that matched the upward draft as well as low/high points of the tilted slice plane and resulted in two label "butt ends" perfectly vertical/true with the bottle geometry vs. fanning outward with the draft. 

I know I could do this with math, but wondering if there's just a simple way for SW to spit those out into a flat drawing.  The shape is not gaussian or non-uniform really, it's pretty basic, just can't figure out how to do this! I'd be amazed if a program as robust as Solidworks couldn't figure out a way to flatten a conical surface into 2-dimensions! I hope that's not the case!

Thanks for your replies.

--Sloan

Anna Wood

Try the sheet metal tools I suggested.

Cheers,

Anna

Lenny Bucholz

Sloan Anderson wrote:

Ahh, the bummer is it's all NDA protected work right now! Drag haha.  BUT, really we're just talking about a cylindrical bottle with a tilted slice plane (about 15-degrees or so) essentially "sawing" off the upper part of the cylinder at an angle, and the entire cylinder itself is extruded with a 1-degree outward draft angle from bottom to top.  So essentially it's a conical shape, and I'm just trying to flatten out the outside wrapped face into a 2D drawing. Imagine your standard plastic Solo cup, but top sawed off at a tilted angle; looking for best practices to create a label die that matched the upward draft as well as low/high points of the tilted slice plane and resulted in two label "butt ends" perfectly vertical/true with the bottle geometry vs. fanning outward with the draft. 

I know I could do this with math, but wondering if there's just a simple way for SW to spit those out into a flat drawing.  The shape is not gaussian or non-uniform really, it's pretty basic, just can't figure out how to do this! I'd be amazed if a program as robust as Solidworks couldn't figure out a way to flatten a conical surface into 2-dimensions! I hope that's not the case!

Thanks for your replies.

--Sloan

now that you've explained it more, as Anna said a sheet metal should work, you could drop it in an assembly and make the label as a new part.

you could make it a lofted sheet metal from sketches or standard loft, then insert bends to turn into Sheet Metal, then add rads if needed.

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz

Sloan Anderson

Thanks for the replies! I've never dealt with the sheet metal tools in SW, but this should give me enough to dive in and read up.  Appreciate the help!