13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 3:24 PM by Alin Vargatu

delete a piece of a part

Herman Wouters

Is it possible to delete a piece of a part, after extrusion and saving the part ?

• Re: delete a piece of a part
          Glenn Schroeder

Yes, assuming it's a multi-body part.  And if it has other features dependent on it they will be deleted also.

Alin Vargatu

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Yes, assuming it's a multi-body part.  And if it has other features dependent on it they will be deleted also.

Glenn, please define "features". If you use the delete body command, there are no features above in the tree that would be deleted.

Also, you can "delete a piece" of a unibody part.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Alin,

I don't use the delete body command, I either right-click the feature (extruded body, etc.) in the tree and click Delete or click on the body in the graphics area and hit Delete on my keyboard.  You mentioned features above it in the tree.  I wouldn't expect features above it in the tree to be deleted along with it, but wouldn't features below it in the tree that are dependent on it (child relations) be deleted along with the body?

And you're right about deleting pieces of a unibody part.  I should have checked that before posting.

Wytze Van Mansum

Yes this is possible. And there are many ways to achieve this. But your question and intentions are somewhat vague, for a better answer to your question you should formulate your question more specific.

But I'll have a try anyway: If I have to guess what you want to achieve I think you should take a look at "configurations" This way you can have two configurations of the part; one with the piece and one with the piece removed (which you apparently want to do via an extrusion). You can continue editing the part as you go along and switch back and forth between these two configurations when you need either set-up.

This way you can have the two different 'set-ups' or configurations of a single part. It is all saved in one part, but as soon as you will export the part or make a drawing from the part you can choose which configuration to use.

Another option you have is 'split part'. Saving a single part into two separate files that still keep the same 'parent' file so changes in this parent file will update in bothe 'child' files.

Or a third option: You could even go as simple as just use the 'save as' option if you are sure you are not going to do anymore changes afterwards. than you just have the two different files. But if you have to do changes afterwards you will have to do the changes in both files as they are no longer connected with eachother.

It all depends on your intentions

Herman Wouters

Dear all: I give jou my drawing, to see what I mean:drawing.JPG

What I want to delete is the extruded cirkel

Herman Wouters

Thanks, I did it