6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 11:27 AM by Todd Bennett

How do I display the ribbon?

Todd Bennett

I opened SW Composer for the first time but the ribbon is not showing.  The help is no help.  How do I turn on the ribbon?

• Re: How do I display the ribbon?
          Derek Parks

Todd,

Click on the arrow circled in the image. This is what opens and closes your robbon view.

RIBBON.jpg

John Burrill

Todd, for future reference, the Ribbon in SolidWorks is called The Command Manager and the online help topic User Interface Overview shows an annotated diagram of the UI.  You should look that over to learn the terminology of the SolidWorks interface.  It will be useful in helping you communicate with other users about SolidWorks.

Todd Bennett

Granted.

Funny thing, a whole bunch of software companies thought it a good idea to go to a "ribbon" style "command manager".  Most actually use the name "ribbon".  It seems to me SolidWorks added the "command manager" before MS incorporated the "ribbon".

Regardless of who had what first, the lingo on MS platforms is "ribbon" and I don't think it is a big stretch to assume that most people would be more familiar with that term than "command manager".  In AutoCAD, Creo, and Inventor it is a ribbon (non Microsoft).  In fact, Wikipedia calls it "Ribbon (computing)".

What I'm saying is: I doubt anyone was confused by the question, but I thank you for the clarification.

Brian Smart

But since this is the Composer section of the forum, using the proper Composer terminology should be the lingua franca here, and Solidworks Composer calls it the Ribbon Interface, Mister Superior.

John Burrill

My bad.  It is called "The Ribbon" in Composer.  I wasn't paying attention to the group heading and I thought you were talking about SolidWorks.

Todd Bennett

That is kind of my point.  It's called "Ribbon" here and "Comand Manager" there.  Who knew?  Besides, our jargon ("the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity occupational or social group") allows for us to use the word "Ribbon" to speak of a type tool bar regardless of the name listed in a specific copyright.

Granted, the Command Manager is not exactly like most ribbons, though similar enough to fit the term.

IMO