2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 11:03 AM by M. B

Export sketch to image - with dimensions and zoomed in to see details

M. B

Hello

Is there an option (SolidWorks 2013) to export sketch as an image (.png/.tiff/.psd) but zoomed in and with dimensions? If I do "save as" and pick tiff/psd I get only current viewport and no dimensions. I would like to see whole sketch but if I zoom out so the whole sketch is visible in viewport, details are very small and grabbing screen is useless as all dimensions overlap and create mess.

Currently the only way I can think of is to zoom in and do screen shot, move sketch, do next screen shot and repeat this and in external program crop screen shots to remove UI and connect them manually - extremely laborious task.

Thanks for any advice.

• Re: Export sketch to image - with dimensions and zoomed in to see details
          John Burrill

MB,

Try turning off relative annotation scale so that the text gets smaller as you zoom out:

To do that, right-click on the Annotations folder in the Feature Manager and select Details:

ANNOTATION_DETAILS.png

In the Annotation Properties dialog, uncheck "always display text at the same size"

ANNOTATION_PROPERTIES.PNG

Depending on how high-quality you want to make the image, you might do better creating inserting the part with the sketch into a blank drawing, showing the sketch, import the model dimensions and arrange them nicely and then exporting the drawing to a vector format like DXF or AI, or saving it to PDF.  this gives you better control over lineweights, font sizes and your image proportionss.

• Re: Export sketch to image - with dimensions and zoomed in to see details
              M. B

Thanks for your answer.

This trick with annotation text size works only if I want do screen shot - but then the whole image is quite small (limited by screen size).

When doing "save as" annotations are not preserved.

I've tried to export as DXF but the preview dialog also do not show annotations. Only lines of sketch.

This is screenshot of zommed in version - such quality I would like to achieve for whole sketch:

sketch-zoomed-in.png

This is screen shot with fixed size of annotations - overlapping is seen and the whole sketch is low detail (due to zoom-out)

sketch-zoomed-out-fixed-size.png

This is screen shot with scaled size (20:1) of annotations - overlapping is gone but text is hardly readable and the whole sketch is low detail (due to zoom-out)

sketch-zoomed-out-scaled-size.png

Message was edited: added images