11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2018 10:46 AM by Calin Alexander

Can't double click to open any files.

Chris Dietz

Hello, I'm not sure what has changed but sometime yesterday I started to be unable to double click to open any file with SolidWorks through Windows Explorer. Now the only way to open anything is from withing SolidWorks' Open menu. I looked online and the only thing I found related to this was a dismissed message about opening read only files but I do not have that error message dismissed. This problem is only associated with opening SolidWorks files and all other programs work with double click just fine. SW2013 SP3, Windows 7 64bit.

• Re: Can't double click to open any files.
          Deepak Gupta

Right click on the files in the windows explorer and select properties. In the pop up window make sure that files are associated with SolidWorks.

Chris Dietz

I hit properties and it said opens with: SolidWorks Launcher, my only other option was SolidWorks 2013 so I chose that and when I double click it tries opening another instance of the program instead of opening within the instance I already have opened. So I changed it back to SolidWorks Launcher but that doesn't do anything when I double click it.

Glenn Schroeder

Have you tried right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and choosing Open instead of double-clicking?  I'm not real confident about that but it's worth a shot.

Also, have you re-booted since that started?

Chris Dietz

Yes, right click and then Open also starts another instance. And yeah last night computer was shutdown when I left work and rebooted this morning, SolidWorks itself has been booted and closed a few times as well since I noticed this issue. I'm not entirely sure if this is related to my computer setting or a setting in SolidWorks right now but since all my other programs aren't having this issue I'm leaning towards SolidWorks itself. I did some more testing, all iges files. part files, assembly files, and drawing files won't open this includes things I've made in both 2012 and 2013 versions. Even dragging the file from windows explorer into the SolidWorks program with no other files open (the blank grey screen) doesn't open it actually puts a circle with a slash through it, before if I dragged a file it would usually have a little box with a + on it which opens.

Deepak Gupta

Any chance if you have an older version like SW2012 installed on your machine?? If yes then do see a pop up for SW Launcher?

Also set the files association to something else, restart your machine and change them back to SW Launcher and check.

Chris Dietz

I remembered something that I changed which may have led to these issues, though it shouldn't have. I was having an issue getting the macro tutorial file to save and create a macro file, so one of the things I tried was putting SLDWORKS.exe in admin mode. Now whenever I launch the program it asks me do I want to allow SWSPManager to make changes to this computer? After I removed that run as admin checkbox things returned to normal and I could double click to open parts again. I have no idea why this was the cause of my issue. So now that this is fixed I can go back to trying to find out why my macros don't save. Thank you guys for your suggestions.