6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 8:20 AM by Brian McEwen

Enterprise PDM Discuss

Eric Gihozo

I have a drawing but I cant check in!? only if I save it with a different name then I can check in, but I want to keep the same name I had before and it wont allow me, help please?

• Re: Enterprise PDM Discuss
          Eric Husted

What error message does EPDM give you? Is your vault set up to not allow duplicate file names?

Brian McEwen

I'm curious about this too.  How is this usually handled?  I'm trying to test this in a sandbox.  I have "Do not allow duplicate file names" turned on.   I get the "filename is not unique" message on check-in attempt.

How would you deal with a file modified outside the vault that you now want to use to create a new version of a file you already have?  Say I send a sldprt to a subcontractor and they make changes and send it back - now I want to overwite the file and create another version. 

Is this easier to manage if I allow duplicate names - or still can't replace the original?

Thanks, Brian

Eric Husted

Hi Brian,

I've run into this same problem but still haven't found an easy solution. I don't think allowing duplicate files names will help. You would just end up with two files at different revision levels. Also, any references would still refer to the older file.

Michael Marshall

This doesn't address the OP's problem, but we regularly have instances where a SLDPRT has been modified "in the wild", and retains its original name. As long as it is in fact the original file (same internal ID info), we have no problem...the user just performs a Check Out on the file in the vault, has the "wild" file visible in another Windows Explorer window, and they simply drag'n'drop it on the file in the vault. From there, they usually open related drawings/assemblies in SW to make sure the references are maintained, then Check In. And we do have duplicate file names disallowed for CAD files - like most people, we want to avoid the confusion of two different files at different Versions/Revisions (and different geometries) having the same name.

Brian McEwen

Thanks Michael!

That is what I was looking for (and I think what Eric wanted in the OP too).  Your method works smoothly.

I tested a couple variations: copy-->paste works, and fortunately Pack and Go works.   It does not work if you put the wild copy in the vault in a different folder, and then try to drag it to the folder with the vaulted & checked out copy.

Adrian Velazquez

There's probably a deleted file with that same name. Go to Display/Properties/Deleted Items, and look for it there.