2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 6:08 PM by Gary Lucas

Using Solid Works with two monitors

Gary Lucas

I have a second monitor for my laptop.  In the past using Solid Edge the second monitor was fantastic, as what they called the Ribbon Bar (Solid Works Tree) could be put on the second monitor surrounded by desktop icons. This left the first monitor entirely for viewing the model. I can't seem to achieve the same setup in Solid Works.  How is a second monitor typically used?  In htis case I'd like to view the model on the large external monitor and have the tree on the smaller laptop monitor. I'd like to open other programs on the smaller monitor too.

Gary H. Lucas

• Re: Using Solid Works with two monitors
          Tom dunn

Hi Gary, I have a desktop with two monitors. I mainly only got this setup to take solid works cert. tests. Because that is what they suggest. But after working with it I would not give it up. I have solidworks open on one screen on my right and everything else, bom program, desktop, windows, email, ect open on the left screen. To my knowledge you can't take just the tree and move it to another screen. You can take the sw view and place on both screens but this doesn't work too well. Just my 2 cents! Tom

• Re: Using Solid Works with two monitors
              Gary Lucas

Tom,

I,ve had two monitors for about 5 yrs, ever since i got a mchine that a second video port and I realized just how great it was. I wound up getting about 6 other people on 2 monitors by dumpster diving. They all were really amazed at how much more productive that is! However i can't do side by side with my laptop because it sits on a deep slide out. So the second monitor is above. I am really hoping that the tree can be moved because it just eats up the whole drawing area. A huge monitor doesn't help either. It's all about how many pixels you have and 2 screens beat 1 every time.