4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 11:33 AM by Peter Ham

Punched holes on a curved surface

Peter Ham

Hi all,

I've used Solidworks for a while now, though very little surfacing work.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this challenge.

Our machinery punches tractor holes in continuous paper webs (think pin-fed printers!).

The holes are punched at 1/2" pitch while the paper is flat, and are (for modelling purposes at least) 1/8" diameter circles.

When I come to model paper paths through our machines, I tend to use a 2D sketch, and create an Extruded Surface.

Up until now, I've never bothered to put the punched holes in, but I have started to investigate how I would achieve this.

My surface has constant radius sections (around cylinders), freeform splines, straight sections etc.

Essentially I want to take my Extruded Surface and pull it flat, put the holes in it, then rebend it back to its initial shape.

I've thought about modelling the paper flat, but then I would have to idea how to accurately wrap it around the complex web path.

The holes are only for rendering purposes, so don't need to be too accurate, but they should be realistic.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most welcome.

• Re: Punched holes on a curved surface
          Raul Bueno

Have you thought about using the sheet metal part of solidworks? I personally haven't used it much but it allows you to design "sheet metal" fabrications or in your case paper. I do know it allows you to flatten whatever your making out but i do not know if it allows you to punch holes in it after its flattened or not. Good luck!

Justin Strempke

My thought would be to do a side profile of the sheet path, then do a Thin feature extrude, making sure one end, start or finish, has a 1" long flat or so.  Then create you starter holes on that flat, one on each side, extruded mid-plane about 3x your paper thickness or so to account for curves.  Then use a Curve-driven pattern, select your original sheet profile as the path, then your cut-extrude of the holes as your feature, and be sure to check "Tangent to curve".  Made a quick example to take a look.

Punched hole paper 1.JPG

Tom dunn

I just made this using sheet metal. If you want to flatten you need to right click on the flat pattern1 on the very bottom of the tree and hit unsupress. Just a note the flat pattern on the bottom is automatically created when using sheet metal. I just chose a thickness and did not use the thickness of paper. Tom  This is just an example not meant to be exact to the dimensions you are looking for. Tom.

NICE JOB!  Justin you beat me to it.