8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2013 4:14 AM by Dennis Goossens

Macbook 15' Retina

Dennis Goossens

Hi,

I already did some topics on buying a laptop for SW and I looked at the options and a Workstation is to expensive (belgium, no sales option) and way to big and heavy.

I will be buying a macbook for school an will have the need to run SolidWorks, I did a half year of asking graduating people what specs you need, and a macbook can do the job.

Now I have a few questions and hope some mac-users or other here can help me:

- Is it correct that the CPU doesn't need to be over 2.3-2.4GHz but the RAM should be as high as possible? Should I go for the 16Gb RAM version?

- What are the most common problems with a Mac running SW?

- I have read allot of different opinions on Parallels and Bootcamp, what's best?

- What are the most common problems with the retina display, resolution etc?

- Anybody tried Macbook + Win8 + Solidworks?

Thanks for the help!

• Re: Macbook 15' Retina
          Dennis Goossens

Another question:

- Does the retinadisplay consumes more RAM or GPU or CPU then a macbook with a regular display?

David Lyndaker

Dennis

- Is it correct that the CPU doesn't need to be over 2.3-2.4GHz but the RAM should be as high as possible? Should I go for the 16Gb RAM version?

I run several hundred part assemblies on a base model (2.3, since bumped to 2.4) with 8Gb ram and it's perfectly adequite. In fact, until my ancient Dell desktop was recently replaced it was much faster.  More ram is usually a good upgrade, but it depends on your usage.

- What are the most common problems with a Mac running SW?

Lack of RealView.  Photoview360 works great if you can live with that.

- I have read allot of different opinions on Parallels and Bootcamp, what's best?

Bootcamp.  Although I haven't tried Parallels on the retina, on my prior MBP it was brutally slow.  I'm sure it's better, but it's still slower than Bootcamp.  Plus, with the SSD it boots so quickly it's not that big a deal to jump back and forth once in a while.

- What are the most common problems with the retina display, resolution etc?

I don't have any problems.  Windows and SW aren't designed for such a high resolution, so I bump it down a bit.  It has so much native resolution that running it at a non-native resolution looks fine.

- Anybody tried Macbook + Win8 + Solidworks?

No.

- Does the retinadisplay consumes more RAM or GPU or CPU then a macbook with a regular display?

RAM and CPU no.  The GPU is adequite for running the retina display, although in Windows you cannot switch to the integrated Intel GPU, which makes battery life in Windows significantly worse.

Dave

Ian Worrall

Not a Mac user, so I asked Wikipedia.

Parallels is a "virtual machine". that is to say Parallels will emulate a machine running Windows inside OSX.

Bootcamp will allow you to install Windows alongside OSX, giving Windows access to your actual hardware.

You choose which OS to run when booting your Macbook.

As a Linux/Windows user, I'd say that dual-booting (Bootcamp) beats a virtual machine (Parallels) every time.

Wytze Van Mansum

I use SW2012 on my Desktop Imac and on my Macbook Air.

As David mentions, the only 'problem'  is the lack of realview, but I never worked with realview so can't estimate whether I am really missing something.

I am amazed how fast SW runs on my basic 13" macbook air with 8GB. Never have any problems using it to show clients assemblies of +500 parts.

Yes Bootcamp is the way to go. I once tried SW with Parallels on a 15" macbook and it was terrible in comparison. On my desktop I primairely use Windows now. On the Air I use OSX because battery life is much better under OSX and with SSD the reboot is so fast that it is no problem to switch back and forth between windows for SW. 

No experience with the Retina nor Windows 8 though.

Dennis Goossens

A macbook air with under 2GHZ and with just the intel 4000 can run assembly's of 500parts?

Wytze Van Mansum

Yes, no problem. Normally my settings automatically switch to large assembly mode above 500. But just to test I opened my 722 parts assembly in normal mode and edited some parts right in the assembly. It is slower, I'll give you that, but not annoyingly slow and it certainly doesn't crash or anything.

I am no computer expert, but I do know that GHZ only says at what speed the processor is running, so you can't just compare a 5y old 2.0GHZ with the new Ivy bridge stuff. It is way faster and the whole architecture of the new ultrabooks helps as well with SSD and the RAM all welded to the same board.

Any way the important thing is, you don't have to worrie; Any new macbook 15" will be fine for all your school needs. Heck maybe even overkill. Best of luck with your choice.  

Dennis Goossens

I see Dell is releasing a new MW, the M3800, it will have a K1100M, is it likely that it will become a recognised graphics card by SW?

What do you guys/ladies think of this new mobile workstation?

For me as a traveling student/sportsmen I think this is a great solution for being able to have a light workstation with me all the time, and not having to buy a expencive MB Pro..