4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 1:18 PM by Christopher Rhoades

Force Load Distribution on Curved Surface

Christopher Rhoades

When a force load is applied to a curved face in a specified direction, how is the load distributed? If the load is defined as normal to the face, I assume the force is distributed evenly across the entire surface area of the face, essentially applying a uniform pressure to each mesh element on that surface. Is that correct?

If the face is curved (i.e. not a flat planar face) and the force is defined in a particular direction, the force will not be normal to each element on the surface. How is the load distributed to the elements on that surface?

Thanks,

Christopher

• Re: Force Load Distribution on Curved Surface
          Anthony Cole

hey Christopher Rhoades i searched a bit and i found this on youtube this might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMo79JnlXU

• Re: Force Load Distribution on Curved Surface
              Christopher Rhoades

Hi Anthony. Thanks for the reply. My question is specific to how Solidworks Simulation operates. I'm wondering how it distributes an applied force load onto the individual mesh nodes of a curved face. In the attached screenshot, you can see I've applied a load to a curved face in a specified direction. In some areas, the normal vector of the face is close to parallel with the specified load direction. In other areas,  the normal vector of the face is far from parallel with the specified load direction.

Anytime a force load is applied to any surface, I assume Solidworks has to split up that force into many individual, smaller forces that are applied to each mesh node. For example, if you have a flat plate with 100 nodes and apply a 100N force normal to that face, the solver would apply 1N to each of those 100 nodes. That's just my assumption--is that correct? Perhaps the solver turns the 100N face load into a pressure acting over the entire face, then considers the surface area each node represents (some nodes may represent more surface area than others), and then applies the appropriate force load to each node.

If the face to which the load is applied is curved, and the force is specified in a particular direction (not normal to surface) like in the attached screenshot, how does the solver distribute that load? Does it apply a uniform pressure on the face in terms of the projection of the curved face onto a plane whose normal vector is parallel to the load direction line?

Applied Load Direction_annotated.jpg