5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 4:20 PM by Lenny Bucholz

Unable to thicken mirrored surface and other issues with thickening

Samio Roi

Hello,

I am unable to thicken and merge two surfaces.

In the attached model, the surface knit( named as "unable to thicken") is the surface causing issues. But a similar surface(named as "can be thickened") can be thickened. I have tried mirroring the surface I can thickened but have been unsuccessful. Please help.

Many thanks in advance,

samio roi

• Re: Unable to thicken mirrored surface and other issues with thickening
          Jerry Steiger

Samio,

I didn't try opening your part (I'm still running SW2010 and assume that you are in a later version). Are you able to thicken the surface with a smaller thickness than you really want? What does the View/Display/Curvature show? Does the body pass a Check?

You mention mirroring and merging and thickening. Perhaps you can make it work by changing the order. Try mirroring the surface, doing a mutual trim with the original, and then thickening.

If none of this works, try making your own Thicken with and Offset Surface, perhaps leaving out some faces that won't offset properly and building new ones in the offset position, or offsetting them individually and then extending or untrimming and trimming to the rest of the surface.

Jerry S.

Samio,

where is your attached model - I don't see an attachment to your post?  I suspect I know why you are no t able to thicken the mirrored surface and other issues.

Regards

Mark

Lenny Bucholz

Biggest trick I saw, downloaded the model before it disappeared, is that 90% of you model could have been solid features and then the tranistion betwen the long tube shape, think its a mouth piece, and the 90 degree round closed cylinder with the round flaired tubes in it might be the only surfacing part you would have to make.

do solids first, then surface where needed, plus you kept making a new plane everytime you needed a new sketch, use the ones you already created that way if you make a change to the plane it will probigate thru the later features.

I played with it and these are my thoughts to help you.