2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 1:56 PM by Simon Gatrall

Open Microsoft Office docs as read-only by default?

Simon Gatrall

We are using EPDM to store CAD (obviously) and are trying to figure out the best way to integrate other documents, especially MS Office into EPDM. I found http://office2pdm.com/ which adds a lot of functionality at a price, but honestly I would be happy if Office docs would open read only by default unless you have them checked out. Right now it is too easy to check something out that you just want to read. Is there something basic that I'm missing in the workflow setup?

-Simon

• Re: Open Microsoft Office docs as read-only by default?
          Brian Dalton

I would recommend using the setting that ensures that a document will not automatically be checked out when opened.  See image:

no checkout on open.jpg

Notice the next to last checkbox.  It should be unchecked to avoid automatic checkout.  This setting will apply to all files and is set per user or per group.

• Re: Open Microsoft Office docs as read-only by default?
              Simon Gatrall

Yes. This solves the problem.

The effect of this is that if you want to open something to be edited, you need to either:

• Check it out first, and then open (double click, or right click and select Open)
              • Right click and select Edit…

With SolidWorks documents which are opened read-only from Windows Explorer, SolidWorks itself will ask you if you want to check out the file.

While this adds a little bit of a different feel to opening documents, it seems safer to open many things read only by default, and force us to be more careful about checking stuff out.

Thanks,

-Simon