5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 8:53 AM by J. R.

Fit Surface around the model

J. R.

Hello,

I'm making fairly complex project for a skin-on-frame sailboat. Frame is nearly finished, and now I want to model the skin, to see what it will look like, and add it to weight calculations. However, the shape of the frame is very uneven, with many protruding corners, and I can't find a way to "fit" the skin around the hull, like I would do it in real life - wrapping fabric around the frame in cone shape, and then cut and glue where neccessary. I want to make the final look of that skin in SW.

How do I do that in SW? I tried creating lines around prominent edges of the hull, and then make Boundary Surface, but it will take me maybe a full day to do it correctly, and still it won't be very accurate. If only I could make a Boundary Surface from different parts, without recreating every prominent edge with Sketch... But it says "Please select from the solid body of the component you are editing".

What I exactly want is for SW to "fit" the Surface around the hull (ignoring if such fabric shape is possible in reality), just like it would in reality if I were to "wrap" the skin around the hull.

I'm attaching a photo. Please, suggest the simplest way to do this. I would also be very grateful for quick answers, since I'm stuck, and I'm on a time limit here.

Thank you in advance.

• Re: Fit Surface around the model
          Atindra Singh

Hi,

You may give a try if it is helpful to you.

Create a lofted body by using curves then use shell outward with desired thinkness. this will produce a skin to your boat and help in weight calculation.

J. R.

But then I will have to make those curves around every prominent edge of this model. It is very hard to determine what would the "contact points" be in real life if fabric was wrapped around. How do I determine those contact points in complex 3d shape?

Lenny Bucholz

you could use the mold tools to find them.

use the splitline function and it should give you the tangent split on the tubes to use as your loft splines, I use this a lot to machine parts that a 5 axis but have to cut on a 3 axis CNC.

just a trick i taught myself.

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz

also the fabric will wrinkle at both the bow and stern so you wouldn't really be modeling correctly with one piece of cloth

Alin Vargatu

Can you post your model here? I would like to give it a try.

J. R.

Sure, here you go. I uploaded whole assembly in another site, since there were problems uploading here. Unrar and open Surinkimas1.SLDASM. Sorry, parts are not in English, I'm working in my native language. In part "Oda" (skin) there are two folders, 1 and 2 - different methods I tried, unsuppress one at the time to see (2 is still work in progress. 1 is finished, it's pretty much what I want it to look like, but as you can see, structure is protruding through skin - that is unwanted).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0394nr

Other unimportant parts are suppressed.

Please tell me if you make any progress.