68 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2017 8:33 AM by Scott Casale

Change in SolidWorks licensing policy you need to be aware of

Kevin Quigley

Like many I use SolidWorks on a desktop (most of the time) and a laptop (occasionally). For as long as I can recall, SolidWorks has let users install the application on the desktop and laptop and activate it on desktop and laptop. At any one time a user could have 2 activations running. This was convenient and (from my perspective) a USP for SolidWorks. I use other software where it is either locked down to a single machine, or dongled or you have to activate/reactivate a single license between machines.

Today I was setting up a new laptop. I uninstalled SolidWorks from the old one, ran the installer on the new one. Started up SolidWorks and tried to activate it. It failed - giving the error message I had exceeded the number of activations. Somewhat puzzled I called my reseller, who I know, can log into the SolidWorks activation server and turn off activations (as I had to do a few years back when a heard drive failed).

The reseller told me SolidWorks has changed the activation policy now. You have to transfer the activation from a desktop to a laptop and vice versa. This, for me is a totally backwards step. The issue is that when you are running in and out the office you can easily forget to do this, so when you get to the meeting off site, you find you have a dead app. Before it was simple, and reliable.

I am interested to know if this new policy applies worldwide or only in the UK?

The reseller told me it was brought in because companies were abusing it and running two licenses with two designers. So the solution is to punish customers who don't abuse it? If this is the issue, then why can't there be a web activation site where a customer can log in on a smart phone, get a code back and type that into the laptop to activate SW?

If SolidWorks are going to change policy then at least put a system in place that allows customers to maintain usability at the same level as before. If the intention is to force users to buy extra seats just for the convenience of not having to remember to activate/deactivate it will fail miserably. They will just say, bugger this, I'll switch to a more convenient platform.

As we transition to the new platform I sincerely hope this new licensing regime is not part of the process where "it will get to the point where moving to the new platform will be less painful than using the old one".

• Re: Change in SolidWorks licensing policy you need to be aware of
          Atindra Singh

Hi Kelvin,

This policy has been changed at my places too and i think its done worldwide.

By the way if you want to activate SWX on your lappy then first of all you need to "TRANSFER LICENSE" from your PC. You will get this option from "HELP" tab. The license will be transferred online from your PC and now you may activate the lecense on your lappy as HELP-->ACTIVATE LICENSES.

Jim Sculley

Have you checked the actual EULA?

In the US, the EULA for SW2013 SP4 still contains this statement:

=====================

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server) and one person uses that computer more than 80% of the time it is in use, then that person may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use. (Due to export compliance issues, however, any person in the Asia-Pacific Region is restricted to using the Software on only one [1] computer.) You will keep accurate and up-to-date records of the numbers and locations of all copies of the Software; will supervise and control the use of the Software in accordance with the terms of this Agreement; and will provide copies of such records to DS SolidWorks upon reasonable request.

====================

Jim S.

Russ Johnston

Kevin,

What version did this change on?

Alin Vargatu

Kevin, as per the License Agreement, this restriction applies only to Asia-Pacific:

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server) and one person uses that computer more than 80% of the time it is in use, then that person may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use.  (Due to export compliance issues, however, any person in the Asia-Pacific Region is restricted to using the Software on only one [1] computer.) 

Kelvin Lamport

At any one time a user could have 2 activations running.

If by that you mean having both machines running SW at the same time, then no, the EULA states...

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server) and one person uses that computer more than 80% of the time it is in use, then that person may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use.

... and as far as I know, that has always been the case.

Note also, the transfer does not have to be from desktop to laptop (or vice versa) ... just computer to computer.

You only need to transfer the licence when uninstalling from one computer & installing to another. It sounds like you did not transfer the licence back to SW before uninstalling from the old computer.

Or have I missed your point?

John Burrill

Kevin, it sounds like you have a VAR that doesn't know the particulars of the license mechanism.

From what you've described, it looks like you skipped the step of de-activating the license on your old laptop before installing it on your new one.  You do that from the help menu.  It pushes the activation back into the pool (then you uninstall the software) and then you activate on your new machine.

To fix your situation, re-install SolidWorks on the old machine.  Unless you nuked the harddrive, the old license  will still be active on your laoptop.  Deactivavte (Transfer) the license.  You should then be able to go to your new laptop and run the activation wizard without getting the license activation error.

The AE at your VAR was trying to explain away your activation error message instead instead of looking up your number of installs and the machine id's for each.  It's not surprising.  Licensing isn't usually covered in training classes and it's not part of the certification exam and AE's sometimes guess at answers.  so if you don't have to push an activation back to SW to install it somewhere else, you'll never know.

Kevin Quigley

Guys,

I have had further discussions with my VAR so before this expands out of control let me just state a few things:

1. I am fully aware of the licensing requirements of SolidWorks - here in the UK you could install SolidWorks onto 2 computers (nominally a desktop and laptop or desktop work and home machine) and activate it on both computers. We are not trying to run one license on two machines at the same time - that would contravene the EULA.

2. What changed on 1st July was that SolidWorks (in the UK anyway) changed the activation policy. Instead of allowing 2 (live) activations for a single license, you now only have 1 activation. What this means is that now you have to de-activate the license on one machine, then activate it on the other, and vice versa. Prior to this I could just run SolidWorks on both the laptop and desktop.

3. In my specific case, we were setting up a new laptop. SolidWorks was deactivated and uninstalled from the old laptop. The number of live activations we had was 1 -on the desktop. As I was not aware of any change in activation policy I automatically tried to activate the license on the new laptop. This is what failed, giving the error message about too many activations.

4. My VAR was very helpful. The AE explained the issue to me immediately when I called. The MD of the company later called me to check everything was OK. We have had issues with licensing in the past and my VAR has resolved then quickly. Here in the UK at least, VARs can log into the activation server and look at the number of activations you have and on what machines. They can delete activations from their end when you have hardware failures that prevent you from deactivating. All it takes is a call to the VAR.

My issue is twofold. Firstly, not allowing dual live activations is a backwards step for end user convenience. Secondly this change was not communicated to end users. Given the volume of material we get from SolidWorks via email, twitter, web you would think that a major change to the activation process would have been announced. It wasn't.

Now since I kicked this off I have spoken to SolidWorks and they tell me that in fact you CAN still have dual activations, but now rather than using a simple install, start, activate, for the esecond activation you need to fill in a form from SolidWorks, stating that you understand that you cannot run one license simultaneously, and that you agree to this. The form is then returned and processed by SolidWorks. We will be doing this, but really, is this a step forward in customer relations and convenience? No.

I am contrasting this with our testing of Autodesk Fusion 360. $25 a month per user. Cloud based with local install apps. I have installed this onto 3 machines (1 PC, 2 Macs). To use it I start the app up and it checks in, and runs. Yes you need a live internet connection in this version but that will be changing soon. Autodesk are setting the standard for "cloud" in terms of ease of use, cost and flexibility. SolidWorks needs to watch this very very carefully.

Lenny Bucholz

The 80\20 rule was on the books lets say because when solid modelers ported or developed for the pc market first came out a laptop couldn't run them, needed 2 desktops, so if a customer had to work at both the office and home they could install 2 places.

now that just about any laptop can run solids from whatever company do you really need 2 installs? I have seen the rule broken at many a company for one seat of SW to easy to do and most employees don't know the rule.

so I guess the few cheaters have ruined it for the rest..... thing change.... happens everyday because of someone taking advantage.

remember back in the day with reg codes, you could install a single seat on every computer....... to many cheaters.....now web based activation ..... now hardware aka laptops are better and cheaters have changed it yet again.

this is why alot of companies use network, you can check out the lisence on the laptop and take it home or you can VPN into the server and use your home desktop... many ways.

Kevin Quigley

Lenny, yes, some of us do require 2 installs. There is a world of difference between even a top end laptop like the one I have and a mid range desktop workstation, especially if you are using it for rendering and complex part builds. I accept that for many this is a non issue as they run it on laptops. That's fine. I need both.

The issue is the change in policy without notification, and the new jumping through hoops to get the same functionality we had a few months ago. This is not the SolidWorks way, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Ian Worrall

"this is why alot of companies use network, you can check out the lisence on the laptop and take it home or you can VPN into the server and use your home desktop... many ways."

Lenny - Only if you can convince IT to expose the License Manager on the VPN and let you log into it. My BOFH will do neither.

Lenny Bucholz

Ian Worrall wrote:

"this is why alot of companies use network, you can check out the lisence on the laptop and take it home or you can VPN into the server and use your home desktop... many ways."

Lenny - Only if you can convince IT to expose the License Manager on the VPN and let you log into it. My BOFH will do neither.

this why I also said check out, aka borrowing a license of SW to a Laptop to take home and not having to VPN in to the server.

As you can see ASU has 500 seats, let students use our license and VPN to use on their personal PC's, laptops and yes MACs, not a big deal, IT can secure a server that only has the license and nothing else, again there are ways around.

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz

Greg Hynd

Kevin.

We recently found the same thing when installing on a laptop for one of our guys to use at home. What our VAR said you had to do was fill in a form which they supplied and this was then sent to solidworks to approve and activate the home license. He doesnt need to transfer licenses at all , it works just like it used to apart from the new form you have to fill in.

So maybe you could check again with your VAR? We are in the UK too.

Alin Vargatu

John Burrill wrote:

Licensing [...] it's not part of the certification exam and AE's sometimes guess at answers.

Sorry, John, but you are wrong here. There are a lot of tough licensing questions in the CSWST exam.

Alex Jones

Completly agree Kevin. Why do I have to manually transfer licences on a £6000 piece of software. Please make this process automatic.

I dont have to do this on Fusion or indeed our £40  anti-virus software (or indeed any other software we own!)

We are a small comany and are in and out of the office lots. I have fogoten a number of times to manually trasfer the licence. I can't relay on someone else being there.

Even when I do transfer there seems to be an unacceptable delay in the trasfer sometimes. I have already had to call our VAR twice.

Automating the transfer process would make life easier for everyone.

We shall be getting the form mentioned here but why should the issue be 'patched up' with a bit of paper?

Lenny Bucholz

Alex Jones wrote:

Completly agree Kevin. Why do I have to manually transfer licences on a £6000 piece of software. Please make this process automatic.

I dont have to do this on Fusion or indeed our £40  anti-virus software (or indeed any other software we own!)

We are a small comany and are in and out of the office lots. I have fogoten a number of times to manually trasfer the licence. I can't relay on someone else being there.

Even when I do transfer there seems to be an unacceptable delay in the trasfer sometimes. I have already had to call our VAR twice.

We shall be getting the form mentioned here but why should the issue be 'patched up' with a bit of paper?

then get a network license and VPN into work and you can use it on any computer you have use you SW install on.

Alin Vargatu

Alex Jones wrote:

Looks like you will like the SWMC licensing model. You have a username and a password. With that you can use SWMC on any machine in this world that has access to the Internet.

Lenny Bucholz

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Alex Jones wrote:

Looks like you will like the SWMC licensing model. You have a username and a password. With that you can use SWMC on any machine in this world that has access to the Internet.

only problem with that is it is $3k per year and were are the file stored and then how are you going to get them if you decide not to continue with it??????? same with Fusion360\CAM360 diecide to stop...where are the files.

Alin Vargatu

Lenny Bucholz wrote:

only problem with that is it is $3k per year and were are the file stored and then how are you going to get them if you decide not to continue with it??????? same with Fusion360\CAM360 diecide to stop...where are the files.

Funny thing Lenny. I attended the Ontario SWUG meeting last night and one of the presenters was Ken Clayton, the VP of Worldwide Sales at SOLIDWORKS.

Ken presented the current state of affairs at SW and the plans for the future, but he was mostly interested in having an open discussion with the users. The same questions you asked (and more) have been asked last night and Ken listened very attentive to what we had to say. He promised that all these concerns will be considered carefully and addressed in the near future.

Lenny Bucholz

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Lenny Bucholz wrote:

Funny thing Lenny. I attended the Ontario SWUG meeting last night and one of the presenters was Ken Clayton, the VP of Worldwide Sales at SOLIDWORKS.

Ken presented the current state of affairs at SW and the plans for the future, but he was mostly interested in having an open discussion with the users. The same questions you asked (and more) have been asked last night and Ken listened very attentive to what we had to say. He promised that all these concerns will be considered carefully and addressed in the near future.

how errie, I was at the Phoenix SWUG last night also and the SW person kind of side stepped the question and said kind of the samething, time will tell as more adopt SWMC\IC, IC is Industrial Conceptual for those that don't know, kind of like T-Splines(Fusion360 and Power Surfacing for SW) the ID guys will love it.

Kevin Quigley

As I started this thread I feel obligated to comment.

Like it or not cloud CAD is coming. All the major vendors are working on it and all the upcoming new kids on the block are building platforms around it. How this translates into deliverable bums on seats is another issue. I have tried Cloud CAD and there are a lot of benefits to having access to your files from anywhere. No license issues. No platform issues. The only issue is connection.

The other day I went to London and the train WiFi was rubbish so saving files etc was impossible. Get to London then I have 4G mobile internet most places and I am seeing 30MB+ Up and Down which is better than my office connection! I think what the CAD vendors are doing is right - they are building platforms based on the access you will have next year not 5 years ago. They have to. But that is really not the issue.

The issue is how they approach  transitioning. Let's compare the two main cloud/rental systems available right now. Autodesk Fusion 360 and SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual.

On one hand you have a totally new platform with a relatively full suite of modelling tools, rendering tools and simulation tools. Even CAM. What you don't have is drawings (more on that later). In many respects you have superior conceptual modelling tools in Fusion than ANY current mainstream CAD package due to the way they have integrated TSplines. It runs on Windows and OSX natively. Fusion is $300 a year. Add on the simulation options and that goes up, but not by that much (compared to say a SolidWorks subscription). All in all a nice package....but it has no effective history. It does have a timeline "tree" but that is nothing like a "proper" feature tree.

Then we have the SolidWorks offering which I have yet to see live. I attended the leading UK 3D Design conference a week or so back - Develop3D Live - and nobody was running SWMC live - all canned demos. The SolidWorks product is $3000 a year (more in the UK - again). I've seen the demo videos and I've heard how great it is but the question I have to ask is WHY WOULD I BUY INTO THIS? The answer is currently I wouldn't. There is siomply no way I can justify an extra £2300 a year on top of the £1250 subs we already pay for a product that we might use a few days a month. Especially as (to be quite frank) we can do 90% of what it does inside SolidWorks using Sketches and Blocks.

Now had SW said to me, upgrade to Premium and you get SWMC as part of the subs package I would likely have done that, but as an extra cost option? No chance.

Apparently there is a super fantastic industrial design version coming this year as well. What are the bets that the cost of that will be even more (as we all know, add the work A Class into any product and you add a few zeros onto the price).

I don't know who is responsible for deciding the marketing strategy at SolidWorks, if it is USA only or it comes from Dassault. All I do know is that they have totally made a balls up of this. The fact is until the v6 platform has feature parity for modelling, and can produce drawings to same standard as SolidWorks users will not buy into it. All they are doing with this drip feed of modules and ridiculous pricing structure is encouraging users like me to look at other options for growing MY business.

Because that is what it is all about. I run a small business. We are growing. I need to make decisions now that will impact 3 or 4 years down the line. Right now I simply cannot justify buying another license of SolidWorks. I certainly cannot justify buying into the v6 Platform. When you have good products like Fusion around from major vendors, and other new vendors with still unseen products waiting in the wings, how can I justify spending £10k on 2 extra seats of SolidWorks, or maybe adding an extra £5k a year to overhead in subs to SWCM (then have to start over in SolidWorks to take it into production phases).

Here is a relaity cheack for SolidWorks. I can equip my entire team (3) with Autodesk Fusion 360 seats, and simulation add on for the cost of 1 annual sub for SolidWorks Premium. Companies like mine have to respond quickly, be more flexible, reduce costs. I'm looking for my CAD vendors to start doing the same.

SoldiWorks. Over to you.

Aron Saint-Aubin

I just found out about this license change AFTER I burned $3,000usd on upgrading my home computer for the sole purpose of using SolidWorks at home. After my normal second license activation failed, I contacted our VAR in Norway and received this response:

"Earlier you could have 2 activations pr license. This is nothing you have paid for, this was a possibility give to you from SOLIDWORKS. But because companies choose to violate the license agreement and activate one SW license for 2 users SOLIDWORKS decided to eliminate this possibility to activate 1 license twice."

Like you mentioned, I must now remember to transfer the license before I leave either work or my house. I'm amazed that in 2014, this is the best solution that SW can come up with. But they are quick to sell me a network license! So is this the way it will be now?

Alex Jones

Further feedback on the license question. We recently had our local 2015 launch day and the answers to the license question managed to avoid the actual issue entirely.

We run three licenses and don't have a problem with SW wanting to make the license transfer compulsory. However they seem to have not improved the transfer service to account for the increased use of the service. I have done the transfer now for about a year - 4/5 times per week.

1. The transfer fails due to server issues more than 50% of the time

2. The transfer works best if you open SW2014 first

3. Transfer on one version of SW does not mean the license has transferred for another version on the same machine.

The above may not sound like a big pain but get this almost every time you transfer - THAT is a pain. WHY should the system have a problem with multiple versions?? WHY should the server fail ever? Any other cloud provider manages server fails - Dropbox just works.

How does SW hope to sell the idea of CAD in the cloud if they can't fund or engineer a reliable server that works with multiple software versions? To be clear this has nothing to do with the principle of transfer - its the very poor implementation that is disappointing. Of course I could just avoid transferring the license and use pen and paper :-)

Kevin Mitchell

Really annoyed with solidworks at the moment, activation server is down yet again so can't activate here at home, which means i'll have all sorts of problems activating it at the office tomorrow.

I've been caught out more times than i can count by forgetting to transfer the license.

Really poor service by SW, this has problem for over a year now and its not looking like they are in any rush to fix it.

They do seem to be ignoring this, is there anyway to petition it or something ?

Kelvin Lamport

The licence agreeament for SW2014 still shows;

Alin Vargatu

Kelvin, this is the 2015 EULA as shown on my computer:

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage

device of a computer (other than a network server), then the person using that

computer may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the

original copy is not in use, provided the Software is under active

subscription service (as such is described in this Agreement).

There is no reference to a geographical area, but there is a new reference to having to be on subscription in order to use this benefit.

Lenny Bucholz

First off I know I will get flack on this but here it is anyway.

When SW first came out there wasn't a activate\deactivate a license, SW used a regcode which allowed you to install it without wed access, so the 80\20 rule was allowed.

80% at work and 20% at home, there wasn't a big issue until people found out you could install it on as many PC's as you wanted, so in 07 sp3.0 it ended, now web activation.

So SW created the activate\deactive option to allow you to move a license to another PC, mainly for the purpose if a new PC is replacing the current, never was really set up to keep moving from work to home and back like having a dongle, they have always stated install a copy at home or get a network version to allow this. they add it to help save you time and not have you wait to get activated or call the VAR. remember they didn't even have to do that, could have left it in the VAR's hands.

Now those that have few seats are the ones that run into the bottle neck, I understand this, so with the new web activation a 1 to 2 seats you only could install on 2 more home or laptops. so as a company there are choices either get a network version, VPN into works server or load the laptop and take home, by the way if you have a network version you can even apply for a home copy of SW that is a standalone but you can only get one per seat you bought, have used that at a couple of companies.

so the only way to really solve this is to have a web login, but who manages it when an employee leaves, you or SW

so I'm waiting for the flood gates to open.

Roy Potter

I know this is an old post but I have just come across this problem when updating my machine.

My VAR said I could only have one activation at a time and had to transfer every time. I read the latest EULA and is says

:

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server), then the person using that computer may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use, provided the Software is under active subscription service (as such is described in this Agreement)..

Reading this it seems to me that you are still allowed to have the two activated at the same time. If it didn't and you were only allowed one activation then the statement is redundant because: if the software was not active on the  first computer it's obvious that you can't use it at the same time.

At anyone time I could load SW on 25 computers and activate the license on each computer as and when required which again makes ths statement irrelevant. IMHO.

Does anyone else have a different interpretation?

Lenny Bucholz

Roy Potter wrote:

I know this is an old post but I have just come across this problem when updating my machine.

My VAR said I could only have one activation at a time and had to transfer every time. I read the latest EULA and is says

:

If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage device of a computer (other than a network server), then the person using that computer may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the original copy is not in use, provided the Software is under active subscription service (as such is described in this Agreement)..

Reading this it seems to me that you are still allowed to have the two activated at the same time. If it didn't and you were only allowed one activation then the statement is redundant because: if the software was not active on the first computer it's obvious that you can't use it at the same time.

At anyone time I could load SW on 25 computers and activate the license on each computer as and when required which again makes ths statement irrelevant. IMHO.

Does anyone else have a different interpretation?

Roy yes you can load on 25 pc's or more, but only one can be active and all the others would be 30 day trails from install ,then its the activate\deactivate route.

as I have stated many times above, you are allowed to install on 2 pcs 80\20 rule and have both active at the same time, work and home or desktop and laptop, but you cannot run them at the same time legally.

I haven't had to do this in a long time since we are network version, I just VPN into our server and run SW license from there.

you can apply for a home use, call the VAR, but as stated in the ELUA must me current on subscription.

there used to be an option you would check while installing, work and home, not sure if that is still there.

Rick McDonald

Roy,

Are you in the US?

I have seen posts from the UK and I believe other areas (outside the US) that they are only allowed one Activation at a time.

They are no longer allowed (for some time now) to have the Work and Home setup (80/20 rule).

Roy Potter

I'm in the UK. In our current EULA there is no mention of the 80/20 rule. The wording maybe different in the UK to the US but, as an end user I find the EULA misleading and, as seen on the forum, open to interpretation.

All this applies to a non-networked license (SNL).

I still maintain that :

..If the Software is permanently installed on the hard disk or other storage

device of a computer (other than a network server), then the person using that

computer may also use the Software on a portable or home computer while the

original copy is not in use, provided the Software is under active

subscription service (as such is described in this Agreement)...

(Extract from UK EULA SolidWorks 2016)

this clause is either redundant or misleading. Without both machines having the same license (serial number) activated it is not possible to run the software on both machines at the same time using the same license (thus breaking the terms of the EULA). Without having the same  license activated on two machine the user has to transfer that license from one machine to another, before being able to use the software. Prior to the so called license change the user could have the same license activated on two machines so, without transferring the license, could use either machine but, not at the same time. As the standalone user is not able to use the software as described in the EULA, Dassault really need to re-word the EULA or allow the standalone user to use the software as stated in the EULA.

I could only go back to the 2014 EULA. The above paragraph is not in the 2014 EULA. The usage is in the Grant of License section and does refer to the 80% rule. It also mentions the restriction of 1 active license per computer in the Asia-Pacific region. The above wording appears in the 2015 EULA and the reference to the 80% rule and the Asia-Pacific region has been removed.

It would be interesting to see if the wording to this clause has actually changed from earlier EULA's and is 2015 the first year the above wording came into affect.

Having contacted Dassault directly I have not had a straight forward reply to a very simple question about the wording of the EULA.

My VAR even backed away from answering the question.

For me the bottom line is, it's a pain to remember to activate/de-activate the  license. I work at home and in an office on a laptop.

Also the real bug-bear is that the EULA is unclear, if the above paragraph had been removed and there was no reference to permanent/portable/home computer use etc. I wouldn't have engaged in this conversation. I'd be a bit miffed as it's a pain but with the additional usage clause being removed that's the new terms. I'd probably raise an ER!!!!

Randy Powell

I see this has been an open issue for some time now, but my question is are you using a stand-alone, or network license? We have 6 network licenses at my office, and I borrow one every week for the whole week, then whether I am at home or the office I am working on the borrowed license, the only issue arises around the PDM vault. I need to VPN for access to that when I am at home.

Here is the EULA from solidworks 2012 if you need it for reference. my VAR offered my company a home license serial for each version of Professional and Premium we have so I have a version on my personal computer at home, and have had both my work and personal both running solidworks at the same time for a moment to test it. out. No issue there. I just had to sign an agreement to get the serial for it. Now I have a question, If I have the discs for 2016, and a license for 2012, can I upgrade to 2016 with my current license. Subscription lapsed about 6 months ago, and we can not afford to renue at the moment. but I need to upgrade to 2016 as that's what my outsourcer has just upgraded to. Thanks for your help

vvv SolidWorks 2012 EULA vvv

Rick McDonald

Randy,

I can only speak about what I understand for the US - don't know if this also pertains to other countries (but I think it does).

I also don't know if this is true for Network license.

For a standalone license:

As of the time you subscription lapsed (~6 months ago), 2016 was already released so you can upgrade to it (providing that standalone had the subscription attached to it - not just the network licenses)

You will use your same license (and I would do a dual installation so you are retaining your 2012 installation just in case and any files you save in 2016 will not be usable back on the 2012 version - with any license or on any computer (network or standalone).

However, you will need the 2016 disks or you will need to have a downloaded copy of it.

The problem you will have is that without an active subscription you can not get onto the site to download the files.

You can check with your old VAR or if you know someone who has the 2016 disks or files that can give them to you.

You are allowed to install the software and the installation manager will let you (will probably give you some warning about being old or something but it will still install and it is still valid for you to do).

If you tried to install 2017 and it was not released as of the end of your subscription you are not allowed and the Installation manager won't let you.

Get the latest service pack version you can.

Stephen Copeland

Ok so im not on the same scale as a design engineer but i have bought the software and im staying with 2014 SP5.0 for now. I have been off SW for a while but just going through the file management training books again. As SW sell the training books how im I supposed to do lesson 4 which is all about "working in a collaborative environment" when i need two computers with solidworks on it to be able to see how the read-only access works. Cant do it, so the whole of lesson 4 is pointless unless your in an environment where your working with other guys. Can I get a refund on lesson 4, :-/ I bet not. I did buy 15 of these books as well.

Jason Young

id of thought by now they would of been able to allow multiple installations, but only allow 1 station to be active at any one time using remote access they can move the license everytime you log on or off????

agreed it could be tricky if the computer isn't connected to the internet, for this to work the active license would have to be on that computer at that time??

Babak Shei

So whats the final verdict?
                                                                              If I'm in Canada, and I need to take my laptop home to work on, which is running Solidworks, Am I allowed?

What would be the potential consequences? Does the 80/20 rule apply? If I forget to transfer my license, will Solidworks end up pursuing legal actions to fine me?

Roy Potter

I finally had a reply from Dassault. This applies to the UK (maybe the same for other countries). I was by word of mouth and the final outcome is not written in the Eula.

A HUL (home user license) is granted for network licenses only. This is noted under the SNL part of the EULA. They have to be requested. The second activation for standalone installations is not granted.

I still find the EULA to be somewhat baffling in its wording and should be re-written to be clear to non-legal people.

Hope this helps .