8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 8:23 AM by Troy Criswell

Model losing feature in drawing

Troy Criswell

I have a couple of things i need help with....here goes. First, i am working on a sheet metal assembly. When I was doing the flat pattern layouts, one of the components "lost" a chamfer when it was set to the flat pattern. In any of the normal views (top, side, front, etc.) the chamfer shows. As soon as i put the view to flat pattern, it is gone. Any ideas?

Next, working with formulas in an assembly......nothing specific, when the part model or assembly is renamed (through solidworks explorer of course), the formulas do not update to read the new name. Everything that had a formula continues to look for the old name of the file or assembly. Any way to fix this or is this maybe something that will be in a service pack? Yes i am using SP3.

Thanks

• Re: Model losing feature in drawing
          Paul Cullen

Hi Troy

Have to added the chamfer in the assembly or in the sheet metal part, I you have added it in the assembly you could have it set so as it does not propagate back to the part. You would need to upload your files so as somebody could have a look for you, without the files there is not much anyone can do for you.

As for your second question, I do not know why this would happen but maybe somebody else on the forum will.

Paul

Troy Criswell

Paul, it appears the chamfer was made within the part (sheetmetal). I guess i don't undersand why that would matter. There is a similar part in one of the subassemblies that works fine and it is also sheetmetal. I will look at the tree and see how it was built compared to the one that I am having trouble with. Thanks for the help

T

Troy Criswell

Let me go ahead and ask this as well. How can you break links within an assembly? More specifically, I have an assembly that, during the load, continues to look for components that no longer exist. The parts have been deleted from the job folder and are not used but can't figure out why the links are still there. Make sense?

T

Jerry Steiger

Troy,

I don't use sheet metal that much, but I believe that it basically only works for parts that have a constant thickness. You can sometimes get it to work with localized changes, but it is not really something you can count on. I would guess that a chamfer messes up the sheet metal so SolidWorks leaves it out of the flat pattern (i.e., suppresses it). If you truly have another sheet metal part with a chamfer that shows up in a flat pattern, then I am wrong and it probably has to do with the position of your chamfer in the feature tree or it is because you have the chamfer suppressed in the flat pattern configuration.

Are you saying that the parts have been eliminated from the assembly but the assembly is still looking for them? Can you show us a screen dump of the error message(s) that you are getting?

Jerry S.

Troy Criswell

Jerry,

i will just copy the other sheet metal part that appears to be working correctly. They look the same in the model tree but for whatever reason......

I made a copy /rename of the working part and resized it. It looks like it will work after re-constraining it. Thanks

As for the last part, what happened was.......we were having an issue with mirroring a subassembly. In an effort to save time and headache, we saved the subassembly (after it was configured and positioned) as a single part. When that failed to do what we needed, it was deleted. Now, the overall assembly is looking for the "part" and all of the individual components that made up that part. This is a mess. What may end up happening is I may just completely rebuild the assembly as most of the components are already in the directory. I can hope this will fix the "link" issue with the deleted part.

Thanks again

Jerry Steiger

Troy,

OK, if you deleted the "subassembly part" from your assembly, how can the assembly still be looking for it? Are you getting error messages? Is the "part" and the component parts still showing up when you do File/Find References? I don't understand. Can you post some screen dumps?

Jerry S.

Troy Criswell

Jerry,

I still not sure myself why the deleted parts are still being referenced. It appears however that the files it is looking for were at one point in a temp directory. This was created after a crash.......we found this out after a co-worker had a crash and the autosave files were placed there. It looks like if you decide to use the files from the autosave, it keeps the files in that temp directory when you save again. Seems like a big mess. The job is about complete so as long as no more crashes come along, it should be good.

Just for reference, i will attach the error screen.

Thanks,

Terror.jpg

Troy Criswell

Jerry and anyone who wants to comment,

I have a question regarding title blocks. This is just a question for a point of reference. Say you are working on a project and the "end customer" wants THEIR title block used in the drawings. Inside their TB, you as the designer, put a seperate rev block for your changes. Do you, or is it standard practice, change the rev on the "end customers" title block or leave it to them to change? My personal experience is you do not bother the end customers title block or rev level.

THanks