7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2013 9:36 AM by David Anderson

PRO/E Import Error

David Anderson

I am trying to import a PRO/E assembly from a partner company.  The parts seem to import sufficiently, but after each part I get an error "The Path for log file is not writable".  This assembly has thousands of parts so a popup for each part is unmanagable.  None of the files is marked as "read only" and they file location is local to my machine.  I am the administrator on my computer.

To debug I saved a part that I modelled in SW as PRO/E.  I then imported the file using all possible import methods (BREP, Knitting, Do not Knit, Analyze Model Completely), I got the same error.

I believe the error log file is created in the same directory as the import file, correct?  Does anyone have any ideas why I am getting this error?

• Re: PRO/E Import Error
          Alin Vargatu

Are the files on your C: drive?

David Anderson

yes they are

Alin Vargatu

As per the Knowledgebase:

This message means that SolidWorks can not write to the directory where this file resides. All imported files create a log file in the directory where they are stored. If SolidWorks cannot write to this directory, this message will occur. Permissions will need to be changed to be able to write to this directory or this file can be copied to a user’s temporary directory.  A shared drive could also be provided on the network for this purpose.

David Anderson

I understand the content of the error, I just dont understand why I am getting the error.  I have write permissions to the file directory as well as the file.  There is no obvious reason why I should be getting the error.

Alin Vargatu

Have you reported this issue to your VAR?

David Anderson

I have not yet...looking into it further it may be a windows permissions issue.  I have never run into it before but it looks like at least one other person at my company is seeing similar behavior in Windows.  For some reason, right clicking on any folder and checking the properties shows the read-only attributes "Read-only (Only applies to files in folder)" for that folder to be partially checked.  clearing that check mark doesnt actually clear the issue, as checking it immediately after reveals that the state didnt change.

It is weird that any folder i check on my computer reveals the same behavior but no other programs have a problem saving.  Actually, even Solidworks doesn't have a problem with a normal "save" operation, just creating this error file.

David Anderson

I don't understand Windows' issue with not being able to clear the partial read only status of a folder, and i dont understand why that condition has never given me an issue with any program (including Solidworks) except for importing a PROE file.  But a work around is to run Solidworks as administrator. (Open Solidworks by right clicking the icon and select "Run as administrator").  Don't know why this is necessary (especially since I am the administrator on my machine).  Hope this helps anyone that might also have this problem.