10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2017 3:06 PM by Whit Elliott

Toolbox can't find parts

Whit Elliott

We have our toolbox set to create a copy of the part (bolt, nut, whatever) to a common folder called 'ToolboxCopiedParts'

When opening assemblies I occasionally get warnings stating the component is not found, so I click OK and wait while it does something

I looked into it recently and sure enough the part does exist, the path is set to look where we keep the copied parts, but I still get the error msg

Any ideas?

Here's the message...

MissingToolboxComponent-1.JPG

here's the component, just where it should be looking

MissingToolboxComponent-2.JPG

• Re: Toolbox can't find parts
          Jeremy Feist

that doesn't appear to a "common" folder, since it is in the specific user's my documnets folder...

maybe some one else created that size hardware in their documents folder, so you could not see it? until you created a new one that is...

Stephen Bittner

Yep...it looks like it is pointing to your "C:\" drive.  It should be a network drive if you and other users are sharing it.  BTW - Toolbox has been nothing but a major PITA for us.

John Burrill

Check to make sure this box isn't checked.  This basically forces SolidWorks to look in one location for toolbox parts and ignore other locations specified by search paths or your copied parts folder.

toolbox_default_search_folder.PNG

Glenn Schroeder

John,

Having that box un-checked is certainly a good idea, but mine is un-checked and I'm pretty sure I was still getting that message until I removed the Toolbox designation from all of my parts that are saved to our network.

Whit,

If you have saved Toolbox parts to another location, I would recommend removing the Toolbox designation from them.  I know my life got easier when I did that.  See here for directions:  http://www.rickyjordan.com/2008/03/is-it-a-toolbox.html.

Whit Elliott

Interesting, we don't use any PDM, would changing the Toolbox Designation make any difference without PDMworks?

Digging into this more today I found that I think I have a slightly hosed installation, I can't upgrade from SP0 to SP4, I keep getting error msgs and failures,  In fact one of the error messages stated that it couldn't update because Toolbox was still running - though I had just re-booted and I didn't see anything running in Task Manager...

I've got a call in to the guys and gals at our Vendors Support Site -

I appreciate the feedback

Glenn Schroeder

I don't use PDM either.  The main reason I removed the Toolbox designation is that starting with SW2013 some assemblies using Toolbox parts would crash when clicking on the face of any one of them, although I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue.  Problems with the box in John's post was another reason.  Also, the error message in your original post wouldn't be an issue if you were using parts with the Toolbox designation removed.

In my situation, I took Toolbox parts, saved them to our network, and altered them.  For example, for hex head bolts, I have one part file for each diameter, with lengths controlled with configurations.  That makes it much easier if a bolt needs to get longer or shorter due to design changes.  Anyway, the Toolbox designation didn't seem to be an issue until SW2012, but since then removing it has made things work much better for me.

Whit Elliott

Just over 4 years since this came up, but I was wondering what would happen, or if it wouldn't be a good/bad idea to run this utility on all my Toolbox Copied Parts. Once we insert them into an assembly we never want them to change, and if we did, using the replace component function would take care of that.

We occasionally run into hair-pulling fun of trying to figure out why a 1/2" flat washer, placed into an assembly many years ago, suddenly is replaced by a M16 x 130MM socket head cap screw.

Whit Elliott

Yep, it was un-checked

Thanks