7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 11:44 AM by Ken G.

Import ACAD Drawings

Ken G.

Hello All,

Well I'm back with more "Q",s.  My question is: What is the fastest, simplest, easiest way to import an ACAD drawing into SW keeping the DIMS & Tolerances intact?  I also have the drawing with a Template showing basic items, such as P/N, tolerances, drawing size, etc. Can I also import those in intact? Then I want to save it as an SW file.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!

KenJG

• Re: Import ACAD Drawings
          John Burrill

The fastest way is to import it as an embedded DWG view into a SolidWorks drawing.  This will dispay the drawing exactly as shown in AutoCAD.  You can't edit the drawing, but if you're looking for an archival transfer into SolidWorks, this is the way to go.

If you want to keep the file 2D and be able to make edits and changes to it, then importing it as SolidWorks sketch entities into a drawing sheet will accomplish that.  You'll be able to retain most of your dimensions and curves.  You border and table information will probably come in as blocks but you're not going to be able to update them with assembly information.

Finally, if you want to make SolidWorks models from your 2D AutoCAD geometry, you'll get linework and text from the import process.  You can attempt to import dimensions but what happens is solidWorks creates a sketch point for each origin on an AutoCAD dimension drives those with a SolidWorks dimensions.  The problem is you just get point to point dimensions, no horizontal, vertical ordinate or anything like that.  It's really kind of a mess and not worth it because you'll need to go through and add sketch relations to everything anyway.  You also don't get borders table or any metadata.

Ken G.

Hello,

Sorry for the late response. I have found the solution. Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back again for more help. The reason I needed to do this is that the machinist says he rather have the ACAD drawing is DXF or SW format. Since some of the files are scaled I need to re-scale the drawings 1:1. That's not the problem though it's when I re-do the dims & tolerances to fit the drawing it removes some of the tolerance settings. Then I have basically go back a re-dim the drawing, too much time. I'm not a machinist so I don't know why they need these type of files in DXF /SW format. Anyway's I found out how to import everything intact and save as SW file.

Best Regards
              KenJG

Anna Wood

John has given you the scoop....

I am going to ask why you want to do this?   Seems like a lot of non-value added work to bring all the  2D stuff into a SolidWorks slddrw file.

You can use Draftsight, a free ACAD clone, to maintain your legacy 2D cad data.  www.draftsight.com

FWIW,

Anna

Ken G.

Hello,

Sorry for the late response. I have found the solution. Thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be back again for more help. The reason I needed to do this is that the machinist says he rather have the ACAD drawing is DXF or SW format. Since some of the files are scaled I need to re-scale the drawings 1:1. That's not the problem though it's when I re-do the dims & tolerances to fit the drawing it removes some of the tolerance settings. Then I have basically go back a re-dim the drawing, too much time. I'm not a machinist so I don't know why they need these type of files in DXF /SW format. Anyway's I found out how to import everything intact and save as SW file.

Best Regards
                  KenJG