26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2013 3:46 PM by Greg Johnson

Accessing the drawing number thru VBA

Jason Wilger

I am looking to save files as TIF files. I have the macro for that part working, but the macro saves as the model name, not the Dwg No property, which are different. I have changed the macro to match some of the other discussions, but I am just getting errors. Any help would be great. This is the macro I currently have:

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long

Dim Feature As Object

Dim swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet

Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Dim bRet As Boolean

Dim i As Long

Dim vSheetProps As Variant

Const swTiffPrintScaleToFit As Long = 28

Const swTiffScreenOrPrintCapture As Long = 6

Const swTiffImageType As Long = 7

Const swTiffCompressionScheme As Long = 8

Const swTiffPrintDPI As Long = 9

Const swTiffPrintPaperSize As Long = 10

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

f = "C:\SOLIDWORKS COMPONENTS\New folder\"

Debug.Print "PrintScaleToFit        = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swTiffPrintScaleToFit, True))

Debug.Print "ScreenOrPrintCapture   = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffScreenOrPrintCapture, 1))

Debug.Print "allorcurrentsheet      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swallorcurrentsheet, 1))

Debug.Print "ImageType              = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffImageType, 0))

Debug.Print "CompressionScheme      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffCompressionScheme, 2))

Debug.Print "PrintDPI               = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintDPI, 200))

Debug.Print "PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize))

file = Dir(f)

Do While file <> ""

filen = f + file

namelength = Len(filen)

filetype = Mid(filen, (namelength - 5), 7)

namelength1 = Len(file)

filename1 = Mid(file, 1, (namelength1 - 7))

Debug.Print file

Debug.Print filename1

lcasefiletype = LCase(filetype)

If lcasefiletype = "slddrw" Then

Set Part = swApp.OpenDoc6(filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings)

swApp.OpenDoc6 filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings

Set swDraw = swModel

bRet = swDraw.ActivateSheet("Sheet1")

Set swSheet = swDraw.GetCurrentSheet

vSheetProps = swSheet.GetProperties

Debug.Print "  TemplateName              = " & swSheet.GetTemplateName

Debug.Print "  PaperSize                 = " & vSheetProps(0)

Debug.Print "PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize, vSheetProps(0)))

Part.SaveAs2 f + filename1 & ".TIF", 0, True, False

Set Part = Nothing

swApp.CloseDoc f + file

Else

End If

file = Dir()

Loop

End Sub

• Re: Accessing the drawing number thru VBA
          Keith Hooks

You can use ModelDocExtension to get a CustomPropertyManager.  With that, you can access any of the documents properites.  I'm not working in VB, but here's the way I do it in C#.  Just replace Revision with the name of your custom property name.

public static string getDocRevisionProperty(ModelDoc2 swModelDoc)

{

ModelDocExtension swModelDocExt = default(ModelDocExtension);

CustomPropertyManager swCustProp = default(CustomPropertyManager);

string val = "";

string valout = "";

bool status;

swModelDocExt = swModelDoc.Extension;

swCustProp = swModelDocExt.get_CustomPropertyManager("");

status = swCustProp.Get4("Revision", false, out val, out valout);  //pass the val, valout by reference

return val;

}

Jason Wilger

I need the PRPSHEET:"Dwg No" to be the value accessed. I can get it to work if I use a value in the properties of the drawing, but I need the properties of the assembly / part. I can't seem to get it to accept the syntax for the text previous.

Greg Johnson

Add this code...

dim swModelDoc as SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swModelDocExt as SldWorks.ModelDocExtension

Dim swCustomPropMgr as sldworks.custompropertymanager

dim strValOut as String

dim strResolvedValOut as String

swModelDoc = swDraw

swModelDocExt = swModelDoc.Extension

swCustomPropMgr = swModelDocExt.CustomPropertyManager("")

'this line gets the value of the custom property

swCustomPropMgr.get4("Dwg No", False, strValOut, StrResolvedValOut)

'strValOut or strResolvedValOut will be the value you need.

Greg

Keith Hooks

Are you trying to access a property of a model contained within the drawing?  In that case, I believe you'll need to get a pointer to the ModelDoc2 for the part/assembly contained in the drawing.  I've done it like this:

swDraw as DrawingDoc

swPart as ModelDoc2

swView as View

set swDraw = swModel

swView = swDraw.GetFirstView()    //return the sheet

swView = swView.GetNextView()   //returns the first view

Debug.Print("Selecting a component from a drawing view: " + swView.GetName2());

swPart = swView.ReferencedDocument;

From there, get the properties directly from the part/assembly model.

Keith Hooks

Remember that $PRPSHEET refers to the property of a model in a view on the drawing.  I don't believe you can access it directly - you need to first navigate there via my comments above.  Get the sheet, then get the view, then get the model referenced in the view.  Then access that model's properties via ModelDoc2.Extension.

Jason Wilger

Keith,

Thanks for the information. I tried adding your code to my macro, but I get Invalid Syntax errors when I try to run. Maybe this is a C# to VBA transfer problem. If you have any suggestions, that would be great.

Greg Johnson

Can you post your code as it is written now?

Keith Hooks

I apologize for the poor VBA syntax.  I program in C# primarily, but I took a stab at the VB syntax.  My hope was that you could use it as a template to see what objects are being manipulated.  Good luck.

Greg Johnson

Jason,

Put a single quote ' in front of the // in Keith's code. That should comment the unneeded information from those lines. Keith, correct me if I'm wrong but the // is the comment syntax in C#. The line should be...

set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView() '//return the sheet

set swView = swView.GetNextView() '//returns the first view

set swPart = swView.ReferencedDocument

I'm unsure if you will need the set statement. Some versions of VB require it some don't.

Greg Johnson

Jason Wilger

Greg,

Back at work today. I tried the suggestions you made, but still get errors. I have pasted the code below. There is some of Keith's code and some of your code. I am getting obect required and type mismatch errors now. Thanks for all of your help.

Dim Feature As Object

Dim bRet As Boolean

Dim i As Long

Dim swModelDoc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2 'new

Dim swModelDocExt As SldWorks.ModelDocExtension 'new

Dim swCustomPropMgr As SldWorks.CustomPropertyManager 'new

Dim strValOut As String 'new

Dim strResolvedValOut As String 'new

Dim dwgno As String 'new

Dim dwgno1 As String 'new

Sub main()

Debug.Print "PrintScaleToFit        = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swTiffPrintScaleToFit, True))

Debug.Print "ScreenOrPrintCapture   = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffScreenOrPrintCapture, 1))

Debug.Print "allorcurrentsheet      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swallorcurrentsheet, 1))

Debug.Print "ImageType              = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffImageType, 0))

Debug.Print "CompressionScheme      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffCompressionScheme, 2))

Debug.Print "PrintDPI               = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintDPI, 200))

Debug.Print "PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize))

file = Dir(f)

Do While file <> ""

filen = f + file

namelength = Len(filen)

namelength1 = Len(file)

Debug.Print file

Debug.Print filename1

swApp.OpenDoc6 filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings

Set swDraw = swModel

Set swDraw = DrawingDoc 'new

Set swPart = ModelDoc2 'new

Set swView = View 'new

Set ModelDoc = swPart 'new

Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView() 'new

Set swView = swView.GetNextView() 'new

Debug.Print ("Selecting a component" + swView.GetName2()) 'new

Set swPart = swView.ReferencedDocument 'new

Set swModelDoc = swDraw 'new

Set swModelDocExt = swModelDoc.Extension 'new

Set swCustomPropMgr = swModelDocExt.CustomPropertyManager("") 'new

dwgno = swCustomPropMgr.Get4("Dwg No", False, strValOut, strResolvedValOut) 'new

dwgno1 = strValOut 'new

Debug.Print "PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize, vSheetProps(0)))

Part.SaveAs2 f + filename1 & ".TIF", 0, True, False

Set Part = Nothing

swApp.CloseDoc f + file

Else

End If

file = Dir()

Loop

End Sub

Jason

Keith Hooks

It looks like you're going through all of the drawing files in a folder and saving them out as TIF files.  Just so I'm clear - you want to name the TIF file the same as the Referenced Model's "Dwg No" field.  Is that right?  You're not trying to use the drawing's custom properties as the filename.

Keith Hooks

I dug into this a little bit more.  I commented out some lines that I felt weren't neccessary and it 'seems' to execute without errors.  Your drawing is the file you're actually saving, so you can still use the swModelDoc that represents the drawing throughout the execution.  I also don't think there's any reason you need to get a handle to the activesheet once you've activated it since the properties you want are in the referenced model.

I also recommend using the Path class to get your file extensions or otherwise manipulate a file Path.  It will save you a ton of headaches.  There are also simpler ways to iterate over files in a directory (especially in .NET 4.0) but I didn't change that here for now.

I did comment out the line that sets the swTiffPrintToScale option because it gave me an inexplicable compile error.  Hopefully it works for you.

Public swApp As SldWorks

Public Sub main()

'Dim Feature As Object

Dim swSheet As Sheet

Dim swDraw As DrawingDoc

Dim swPart As PartDoc

Dim bRet As Boolean

Dim f As String

'Dim i As Long

Dim file As String

Dim filen As String

'Dim filetype As String

Dim filename1 As String

Dim lcasefiletype As String

'Dim namelength As Integer

'Dim namelength1 As Integer

Dim vSheetProps As Object

Dim swModelDoc As ModelDoc2 'new

Dim swView As View

Dim swModelDocExt As ModelDocExtension 'new

Dim swCustomPropMgr As CustomPropertyManager 'new

Dim strValOut As String 'new

Dim strResolvedValOut As String 'new

Dim dwgno As String 'new

'Dim dwgno1 As String 'new

'Const swTiffPrintScaleToFit As Long = 28

'swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

'Debug.Print("PrintScaleToFit        = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swTiffPrintScaleToFit, True)))

Debug.Print("ScreenOrPrintCapture   = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffScreenOrPrintCapture, 1)))

'Debug.Print("allorcurrentsheet      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swallorcurrentsheet, 1)))

Debug.Print("ImageType              = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffImageType, 0)))

Debug.Print("CompressionScheme      = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffCompressionScheme, 2)))

Debug.Print("PrintDPI               = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintDPI, 200)))

Debug.Print("PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.GetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize)))

file = Dir(f)

Do While file <> ""

filen = f + file

'namelength = Len(filen)

'filetype = Mid(filen, (namelength - 5), 7)

'namelength1 = Len(file)

'filename1 = Mid(file, 1, (namelength1 - 7))

Debug.Print(file)

Debug.Print(filename1)

'lcasefiletype = LCase(filetype)

lcasefiletype = Path.GetExtension(filen)

'Part = swApp.OpenDoc6(filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings)

swModelDoc = swApp.OpenDoc6(filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings)

'swModelDoc = swApp.ActiveDoc

swDraw = swModelDoc

'swSheet = swDraw.GetCurrentSheet

'vSheetProps = swSheet.GetProperties

swView = swDraw.GetFirstView() 'new

swView = swView.GetNextView() 'new

Debug.Print("Selecting a component" + swView.GetName2()) 'new

swPart = swView.ReferencedDocument 'new

swModelDocExt = swPart.Extension 'new

swCustomPropMgr = swModelDocExt.CustomPropertyManager("") 'new

dwgno = swCustomPropMgr.Get4("Dwg No", False, strValOut, strResolvedValOut) 'new

'dwgno1 = strValOut 'new

Debug.Print("  TemplateName              = " & swSheet.GetTemplateName)

Debug.Print("  PaperSize                 = " & vSheetProps(0))

Debug.Print("PrintPaperSize         = " + Str(swApp.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue(swTiffPrintPaperSize, vSheetProps(0))))

swModelDoc.SaveAs2(f + filename1 & ".TIF", 0, True, False)

'swPart = Nothing

swApp.CloseDoc(filen)

Else

End If

Loop

End Sub

Jason Wilger

With some help from Keith, Greg, and some other threads, I got the macro to work. Here is the final product:

Dim swPart As SldWorks.PartDoc

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Dim bRet As Boolean

Dim f As String

Dim file As String

Dim filen As String

Dim filename1 As String

Dim strModstring As String

Dim strfilename As String

Dim strresfilename As String

Dim sname As String

Dim sValue As String

Dim lcasefiletype As String

Dim swModelDoc As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Sub main()

file = Dir(f)

Do While file <> ""

filen = f + file

namelength = Len(filen)

namelength1 = Len(file)

Debug.Print file

Debug.Print filename1

Set swModelDoc = swApp.OpenDoc6(filen, 3, 0, "", longstatus, longwarnings)

Set swDraw = swModel

Set swView = swDraw.GetFirstView

Set swView = swView.GetNextView

strfilename = swView.ReferencedDocument.GetPathName

strresfilename = Left(strfilename, Len(strfilename) - 7)

strModstring = Right(strresfilename, intcount)

sname = "Dwg No"

sValue = swView.ReferencedDocument.CustomInfo2("", sname)

swModelDoc.SaveAs2 f + sValue & ".TIF", 0, True, False

Set Part = Nothing

swApp.CloseDoc f + file

Else

End If

file = Dir()

Loop

End Sub

I did a test run with 50 drawings and it worked seamlessly. I think a lot of the problem is with the VB version. I am currently running 2012, and this may be the issue.