10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 9:29 AM by Seth Renigar

Dimension not visible while placing

Seth Renigar

A co-worker just pointed out that on his machine, the dimension is not visible while placing, when in a sketch.  But it's a little deeper than that even.

For example, let's say he has 2 parallel lines that he wants to define a distance between.  He starts the smart dimension tool and selects the first line.  On my machine, a preview of the dimension is visible immediately (it's trying to guess that you're wanting to dimension the length of the first line at this point).  His is not showing any indication that he's even selected the line for dimensioning, although he has.  Then, he selects the 2nd line.  On my machine, the dimension tool recognizes that you are trying to dimension between 2 lines now, and shows a preview of the dimension.  His still shows no indication that he's selected anything for dimensioning.  However, when he places the dimension, it appears as it should ready to input a value.

Now comes the fun part (as if that wasn't bad enough).  Without touching anything after placing the dimension, if he clicks anywhere else, it tries to place a second dimension from the same 2 lines that he had previously selected.  If he were to click 10 times, it would place 10 dimensions between the same 2 lines, without reselecting them.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this???  I'm at a loss...

• Re: Dimension not visible while placing
          Alin Vargatu

Does he have a certified videocard and videocard driver?

Jerry Steiger

Seth,

Does his machine always behave that way? Perhaps he just needs to reboot?

Jerry S.

Seth Renigar

It's always behaved this way since he's been here (couple months).  This leads me to believe that its either the driver issue, or a bad install.  I know of no setting that would make it behave this way.

John Burrill

What are the specs on this guys machine?

Just thinking out-loud, if he's getting locked into the same selection set every time he attempts to place an additional dimension using the smart dimension tool (I'm assuming if he escapes out of the tool after placing the first dimension, he can restart it an place a dimension somehwere else) then there's a selection buffer that's not getting cleared out and that's either a setting on the mouse driver (like maybe Smart Move) in logitech that's keeping his cursor pinned in this case because the mouse driver thinks the edge he's selecting is a control in a windows form so it's automatically jumping back to it or there's a page buffer that's not getting dumped.  Lots of things can go wrong when windows has to begin paging especially when it involves display lists like edge selection does.

So the two things I would look at does this guy have enough RAM to keep Windows from disk swapping when he's in SolidWorks and second is his mouse configured to do anything automatically.

finally, I'm not privy to the inner workings of SolidWorks but I have noticed that it will pick up edges for selection in selection manager just by passing my cursor over them and that regular selection will sometimes refuse to let go of an existing selection when you select something else and that could point to interaction with the graphics card, so maybe the out-of-date video driver is at the root of this.