12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2018 8:58 PM by Kevin Chandler

Solidworks won't "un-minimize"

Dean Baragar

I have a really stupid issue today.

Running SW2013 in Windows 7.  I minimized SW, and now I can't unminimize it.  When I click on the icon in the task bar nothing happens.  When I hover over and it previews the windows and I click on them, nothing happens.  When I right click on the icon and select Solidworks 2013, it opens up a new session.

Similarly, when SW is running behind another program (such as Word), and I want to go back to Solidworks, I cannot get back to the window I was working on.  For example, if I have 3 models open and am working on 1, then switch to Word for awhile, when I hover over SW icon, only the 2 non-current windows are available for selection, so the only way to get back to the original window is to minimize Word.

Is this normal behavior, or do others have the same problem.

• Re: Solidworks won't "un-minimize"
          John Burrill

That's a tough one, Dean.  Aside of your saying that this happens while you're working in SolidWorks, it sounds like your SolidWorks window is off the screen.  Have you tried right-clicking on the taskbar and tiling all of the windows to try to reign some back in?

Jerry Steiger

Dean,

I have had this happen a couple of times since getting my new computer with Windows 7. I don't know what fixed it, most likely a reboot, or perhaps shutting SW down and starting it up again. I'm still on SW2010, so it is not specific to SW2013.

Jerry S.

Dean Baragar

Good to know its not just me anyway.  I think it might be happening when I have a feature open (creating Explode views), but there is no consistency to it from what I've observed.  I just want to go back to the window I was working on, and not have to try to pick it out of a list (if it even shows up).

Muralidhar Chourashiya

Hi, there,

I had same problem but with some other software....

To restore the window (here SW 2013) first click on it and then press Alt + SPACE then click on move and use arrow key to bring the window in visible area.....

I guest it will work....

Muralidhar. 

Anthony Denslow

I had the same problem a few minutes ago.  I slow double clicked somewhere by the button that fits the window to the screen.  It minimized Solidworks 2015 and assigned it to open in my second monitor (my TV) which was off.  I opened and closed Solidworks a few times before turning on my TV.  I'm not sure what directed Solidworks to be pushed to the other monitor, probably more a Windows 7 thing than a Solidworks problem.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I have no idea what's causing this, from your OP, you didn't mention trying any keyboard commands to switch back to SW.

Does Alt+Tab restore the SW window?

Also, is another dialog within SW open (such as Manage Equations) when you minimize?

(Maybe the internal dialog minimized wants to be restored first or is somehow using the parent window's restore for itself. Just guessing on this one.)

Or is it regardless of what SW is up to at the moment?

Cheers,

Kevin

Jeff Lentz

Sitting here now with the same identical situation. I run multiple monitors, but all configured the same everywhere I go, so I know SW is not "off screen", and I've tried the tricks to bring it back on. That doesn't work. I've tabbed through to it, but the screen doesn't reappear. Switching to a single monitor does not bring it back. Windows acts like SolidWorks has focus, and I can see the screen come up when I hover over the tool tray icon, but once I select it the screen vanishes again. This is, I'm almost certain, a graphics driver issue where the SW screen fails to refresh through Windows properly. It happens to me two or three times a day, though it's usually recoverable without having to force quit SolidWorks like I'm about to have to do.

Christopher Rouxel

Had the same issue. I resolved it by hovering over the SW icon in the taskbar, then over the SW mini window, and right click -> maximize. From there, to get it to no longer be full screen, I had to click and drag the top menu bar which resized the window. After that, the issue went away and was able to maximize, minimize, etc...

Kevin Chandler

Jeff Lentz wrote:

Sitting here now with the same identical situation. I run multiple monitors, but all configured the same everywhere I go, so I know SW is not "off screen", and I've tried the tricks to bring it back on. That doesn't work. I've tabbed through to it, but the screen doesn't reappear. Switching to a single monitor does not bring it back. Windows acts like SolidWorks has focus, and I can see the screen come up when I hover over the tool tray icon, but once I select it the screen vanishes again. This is, I'm almost certain, a graphics driver issue where the SW screen fails to refresh through Windows properly. It happens to me two or three times a day, though it's usually recoverable without having to force quit SolidWorks like I'm about to have to do.

Hello,

See the utility attached in this post: Find lost dialog/window utility (using Autohotkey) V1.01 update

Type SOLIDWORKS for the input.

I believe it's uppercase. It's not shown, but it's in the window title.

If not uppercase, try SolidWorks.

Cheers,

Kevin