4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 10:55 AM by Kevin Gamiel

Export as particle mesh

Kevin Gamiel

We would like to export simple SolidWorks parts for use in a particle model.  Ideally, the output would be 3D points or a point cloud or some such.  I was thinking STL would work, but is there a way to control the tesellation resolution?  For example, a simple extruded cube exports in STL as 12 triangle facets (2 per side) and 8 vertices.  Is there a way to subdivide into additional facets automatically?

• Re: Export as particle mesh
          Jerry Steiger

Kevin,

I believe that STL will always export a face with as few triangles as possible. So a cube will always have 12 triangle facets. You will need to use rounded faces if you want to get more facets. You can adjust the STL output to give you more edges on a sphere, but you will just get more points all at the same radius from the sphere's center. I'm not sure how well distributed they will be, but playing with the output parameters might allow you to adjust that as well.

Jerry S.

John Burrill

What software are you going to that you have to export 3DSolids as individual nodes in order to generate a particle emitter?  In Blender you just change the object to a particle system or use a particle-emitter material.

As far as STL is concerned, you can bump up the precision to produce more vertices but you don't have selective mesh control.

Kevin Gamiel

It's a smoothed particle hydrodynamic model that uses GPUs for computing.  It's fairly early in development and objects must be "filled" with particles essentally by hand.  My goal is to write an importer for something like SolidWorks or Blender.  If I understand you correctly, I may be able to import my STL into Blender and change to particle system or use a relevant material.  I'll give that a shot, it sounds promising, thanks!