2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 12:29 PM by Paul Vandenberk

Future in Solidworks/CATIA,etc.

Prabesh Dahal

Can u tell me which branch of Engineering/Engineers mostly work with CATIA/Solid Works,Pro enginner, or other similar softwares. I have a keen interset in drawing, designing and modelling. Recently I completed my B.E in Industrial Engineering and am in pursuit of Masters degree abroad in US. Would u be kind enough to recommend a subject or related Engineering Degree/Field for me that best fits my area of interest.Also, do these post graduate colleges provide trainings of the afforementioned softwares in their courses or will I have to take it somewhere? I have been desperately searching this answer for quite a while now,becuause I have made a choice of my career in this field. I hope I receive many answers.

• Re: Future in Solidworks/CATIA,etc.
          Sanjay Anantharaman

Hello Prabesh,

The term CAD (Computer Aided Design) can be used almost all the branches of engineering.

However, Mechanical and Civil  Engineers uses these software for Product design and development.

In India, these courses can be of short durations, MS in CAD and MS in tool design are highly valued for a mechanical engineers.

http://www.citdindia.org/html/cad-cam-courses.htm

http://www.msmetoolroomkolkata.com/page.php?id=MjI=

Interested in Solidworks

http://www.solidworks.in/sw/support/mcad-training-courses.htm

However Masters in CAD along with FEA and FEM, what's the usual procedure in abroad, which may not be of your interest. If you are looking for modeling alone.

• Re: Future in Solidworks/CATIA,etc.
            Paul Vandenberk

I agree with Sanjay, SolidWorks, Pro E, etc. can be used in most branches of engineering including industrial engineering. However, it is primarily used for product design. For example, I work for a company that uses it to design high pressure and high temperature frac units for the oilfield industry and I am a mechanical engineer. I know some friends that are aerospace engineers and they use Pro E or CATIA to design airplane wings or hulls. I think it really matters on the company that you work for as opposed to your degree for the most part.

In terms of where to learn it, I am sure there are thousands of courses offered worldwide. I know I took it in my last year of my degree as a couse at the university. In terms of masters work I am not sure how much you will have a chance course wise to learn it. It really depends on the institution you are going to. If it is something you really want to do you can go online and download a student copy of the software and go through tutorials. Although there are courses most of what you learn with solidworks or any of the softwares comes from real world experience so start some side projects of your own and experiment with the software.