6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 9:12 AM by Tom Cote

Protect solidworks templates

Kevin Moreau

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a way to potect my solidworks template so that other users dont overwrite them by accident.

I have been looking on the internet and read about password protecting templates but no where I could find how to do it.

Kevin

• Re: Protect solidworks templates
          Mark Kaiser

You could make them windows read only, or the folder where they reside read only (from a windows admin user).  This really only means you'll have a good copy somewhere, they could still copy them out and change them, but the originals would be good.

Kevin Moreau

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the long time it took me to respond. I tried to use the read only file of windows but it does not prevent others to remove the read only protection and change the templates (which I don't think they would do) but the problem is that if I want to edit the template, I have to remove the read only to be able to save it.

What I am looking for is something that would give me (or one user) the write access of the templates and everyone else would be in read only (without the option to remove the read only except from the user who create the files)

Not sure if my explanation are understandable, if not let me know and I will give some examples.

Kevin

Roland Schwarz

Change the folder permissions so tha only certain users have permission to change anything in the folder.

At my last job, files were protected so that only a specific user account could change them.  That user account was a separate "vaultadmin" accont that was not used by any particular person for day-to-day work.

Kevin Moreau

I tried to do it but it seems that I don't have permission to change the settings so I asked our IT guy and he was able to set permission to the folder such that I am the only one who has complete control of this folder and other users can read/open files in that folder.

Thanks for your help

Tom Cote

Another way is a bit more work to setup but works well.  Put the templates and formats on a network in a read only location to all but the Admins.  Create a folder on each individual machine (consistent names etc...) and copy the templates there.  In the startup script add a robocoy command that copies in only one direction (from the server to the local machine).  This does a few things; 1, It verifies that the user has the latest templates each time they log onto their machine; 2, It give you a central place to update templates and auto push them.

I have used this as a central place for macros, library components, etc...

By using robocopy if a user changes a template, format, macro, library component.... the next time that they log in they are rewritten back to the match the server.  It's actually very fast becasue it only copies new files or repoies files that are different so it only adds a few seconds to the login time.

Tom

Jeremy Feist

if you are using some sort of PDM system, you could probably store them in there and control access that way. We use EPDM and store our templates in there for just this reason.