2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 2:20 PM by Cory Lehr

Custom properties from materials

Cory Lehr

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up a new title block that will pull information from the custom property manager to save time typing in the same thing every time and to make every drawing uniform with it's callouts.  What I'm doing is setting up custom materials that will have the correct appearance and finish.  I have attached an example of what I'm looking at but I am having troubles trying to get what I want to show up on the drawing.  If I add custom properites to the material, say one for the material callout and one for the finish callout, is there an easy way to get these to show up on the drawing?  I'm trying to tie everything together so we would just need to select one option from the material list for a white powder coated part and have the finish and material be driven by it.  My API skills are little to none but I am familiar with the SW property tab builder.  If there is a way to control these fields through excel I would be able to create pages to drive the custom materials from that.  Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Cory

• Re: Custom properties from materials
          Mark Coville

See image. Attach a note to the part in your drawing. On the left select link to property (looks like the custom property sybol with a chain link on it) then choose component to which the annotation is attached and from the drop down list choose your material & finsh. Once you set it up you can copy & paste it onto other parts and it will read there properties.

• Re: Custom properties from materials
              Cory Lehr

The only problem with the drop down is that the custom properties from the material are not listed.  I currently have a drop down for the finish to select from and the material will be populated from the selected SW material.  What I'm doing is creating custom materials and naming them with a descriptor, ex. painted aluminium, but want to use the custom properties inside the material to call the finish and the material selection.  This way you just have to select the material you want and if it was to change it would be as simple as changing one thing in the part and not multiple.  I may have to go with just a regular name for the material and use the drop down but was looking for a way to combine them.  I have attached a pic of what i currently have on the custom materials which I'm using to populate the title block.  Currently every one of the fields is manually entered and I was just wanting to make a more consistent callout.

Thank you

Cory