8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 11:07 AM by Alexandra P. Spaulding

Search Function in EPDM '12 and Windows 8

Alexandra P. Spaulding

Hi Everyone,

I am currently running Windows 8 (64 bit) with EPDM '12.  I have noticed that whenever I use the search function to pull up latest versions

or search by specific users, EPDM crashes.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Is there an update I am missing, to the best of my knowledge

as of this AM (8:30 EST) my computer is up to date and virus free.  I need to be able to utilise this particular feature so I can make sure the vault is synced

up with our mirror drive etc.

With thanks

Alexandra

• Re: Search Function in EPDM '12 and Windows 8
          Kip Speck

I would like to ask you about your "Mirror Drive"  What are you using it for?  Are you not using te EPDM Replication feature?

Can you get the error message and description from the Windows Event logs for the Application when the crash happens?

You can also look in the Admin Tool to get the Events.

Thanks

Kip Speck, CEPA | Director of Technology | kip.speck@stratus-x.com
          Mobile +1 469.601.0700 | Office +1 214.552.5919
          Stratus-X| www.stratus-x.com

Alexandra P. Spaulding

Hi Kip,

We use a mirror drive for a number of different reasons: 1. Number of liscences vs. number of users.  2. Not everyone who accesses drawings actually needs todo it through the vault, and lastly EPDM doesn't sync up so well with our other major manufacutinng Software (Made 2 Manage).

I am attaching a screen shot of the error log.  The very last error that is slightly gray is the report for my current issue. 

Thank you for your help Kip.

Kind Regards

AlexandraEPDM-searcherrorreport.png

Alexandra P. Spaulding

Hi Kip,

We use Sync Toy, to sync the mirror drive to the vault.  I'm sure we could, however I'm only here to really manage the EPDM side of things, not the whole IT situation.

Thanks

A

Kip Speck

Alexandra,

Without seeing all of the settings you have set for Sync Toy, Left Right etc...  It is hard to troubleshoot the issue.

Your original issue had to do with Searching, Unless your Sync Toy settings were pointed the oppisite direction, therw should not be an issue.

If you have some queries that are setup to query the DPM database for the file names, Docid's so that Sync Toy can know the files, that would the only thing that may be causing an issue.

We have several computers running 8 with no issue.

If you have a good relationship with your VAR, I would suggest contacting them.  otherwise I woukd need to see more details into your setup to be of anymore help.

--Kip

Alexandra P. Spaulding

Hi Kip,

I am attaching a screen shot of the Sync Toy set up.  I checked it against other users who have sync toy and the file paths are correct.

PDM continues to crash whenever I do a search, regardless of who or what I am searching for, be it users, versions etc.  When I was working on XP I didn't have this problem.  I asked a co-worker who runs the same exact set up as I do in terms of OS and machine and he can search fine.  Which makes me think it's local to my set up.

I would love any feedback.  I do have a good relationship with my VAR and might bring him in, just currently corresponding with him on another matter, and wanted to see if I could solve this one myself.

With thanks

AlexandrasynctoySS.png

Kip Speck

Alexandre,

I am assuming that the left "C:\" is your local Computer..  and the Right is your EPDM Archive Server..  Correct?  And that you are copying from Right to Left?

The curious question I have is what are you using to translate the Archive File Names and versions to the actual file name.  EPDM stores the files in a binary name, and to know which file and folder the archive is in, you have to get the DocId and File name from the Databse. As far as I know SyncToy does not do this.

That still does not explain the SQL errors in your log file...

Unless you have sync toy pointed to the Archive Files on your Archive Server, and Querying the Databse for file names and latest versions, I do not think Sync Toy is causing your issue.

I lean more torwards it being something with your install of EPDM on your computer.   Have you tried to uinstall and reinstall?  or have you Removed your Local View and re created it?

NOTE: if you remove your View, please make sure alkl of your filkes are Checked in first....

Alexandra P. Spaulding

Hi Kip,

Apologies in not being able to get back to you sooner, some matter arose that needed to be dealt with.

I am going to answer your questions in the order you posed them.

1. C (or the left side of sync toy) is actually the EPDM server and the right hand side is our mirror drive.

I would have to ask our IT Manager about what we use to translate our Archive File Names and versions.  I do not actually know.

2. I am in the process of reworking certain data cards, and then I will be doing a fresh install of EPDM on my machine. I will report back.  I have found out through various training sessions however that a number of my vault users who are running Win 7 also have issues with the search function.  I am going to use my machine and a selected machine running 7 as test cases with fresh installs.  I will report back.

With Thanks

Alexandra