4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 8:16 AM by Glenn Schroeder

problems with tutorials

J. Baldwin

When using Solidworks 2013 education edition, has anyone else found that the tutorials provided with solidworks seem out of date. e.g. tools accessed in different ways and some features not accessable at all (in advanced techniques hinge tutorial creating the pin, i have no access to swept base tool).

Does anyone know if there are any updated tutorials out there, or are we stuck with the ones we got?

• Re: problems with tutorials
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Baldwin.

Make sure you've two sketches before you can see this option. You can also use the search option on top right corner.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

Becca Whitney

Sometimes you can accidentally close a particular part of a menu and "lose access" so some features. Other features are only available under the correct circumstance. You can always fine a tool under the insert tab, as shown by Deepak, however you can also gain access through right clicking on a menu and customizing it and choosing the features you want on your main screen. If all else fails, reset your menus to default and you'll go back to the basics.

J. Baldwin

I can see the tool, but it is "greyed out" and I cannot select it.

I have even tried sketching and duplicate circle the same size as the offset one I need to use for the profile, and a line sketch for the path. But I still cannot select the tool. (Not the first time ive had to create a workaround to an issue in this program).

I have attached the assembly, sketches 3 and 5 are my attempts at a workable solution.

Glenn Schroeder

I think I see the problem.  The tutorial seems to have left out a step.  After creating the new part (the pin) in the assembly, you need to right-click on it in the tree and choose the "Edit Part" icon.  Then continue with creating your sketches so that they are in the part.  In the assembly that you posted they are below the Mates folder in the tree, which means they belong to the assembly and not a specific part.  After doing this you should be able to use the Sweep feature.

And for the future, if you post an assembly for people to look at, please include the parts in the .zip (Pack and Go works well for this).  The part files need to be available so that we can see them in the assembly.