2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2013 9:23 PM by Chai Lim

How do you add thickness to a scanned surface?

Chai Lim

I know how to use the thicken function for surfaces that I have drawn myself, but right now I am working with a scanned surface. After importing the STL file, which is the outer surface of a pipe, I am having problems giving it a thickness, as the thicken function does not seem to work. Is it because of the format of the file, or do I need to post process it more before being able to assign thicknesses?

• Re: How do you add thickness to a scanned surface?
          Tom dunn

I brought the file into solid works, 2012 but after that I am not sure what you are asking for? What I am seeing is just a half of a circle shaped surface. I'm confused?  Tom

• Re: How do you add thickness to a scanned surface?
              Chai Lim

Hi Tom, thanks for taking the time to respond. What I have is a partial scan of a pipe, hence the half circle structure. The texture you see on the surface is due to corrosion, and I would like to model just this section of the pipe, hence having to give it a thickness.

I have tried importing it then going over with the mesh and surface wizard but from there on I am stuck as SW does not seem to allow me to add a thickness to the surface. I've tried importing it as a solid body through the use of DXF formats but it seems to be too large for SW to handle.

Another method I was thinking of was drawing a sketch on another plane and extruding to the surface instead, but I'm not having much success with that method either.