3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 10:34 AM by John Burrill

Use both Beta 2014 and 2013 SP3

Lapo Lapo

Is there any way to use SW Beta 2014 separated from 2013 SP3?
      I would like to be a beta-tester but I also need 2013 SP3 as it's "stable" and all my workmates are using it. I can't break compatibility and so on.

• Re: Use both Beta 2014 and 2013 SP3
          John Lhuillier

Yes you can install them both on one computer. You will need to make sure that you go in & set up a new path & file locations for all of the standard parts & other items that you may need to use in 2014. Just remember to BACK UP everything you will be using from 2013 before using 2014 in case you accidently save something you shouldn't have because once you save you can't unsave it back to 2013. I wish there was an easy way to set 2014 file locations to not use the file locations from existing installations when installing it.

Kelvin Lamport

Quoted from https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DOC-1014

If you want to keep two major versions on your computer:

• Create names for the SolidWorks installation directories that are based on the version and service pack for SolidWorks. For example, SolidWorks 2010 SP1 would have an installation directory name of SolidWorks2010.
            • Set a SolidWorks Data location based on version and also decide whether to share the data with others on a network drive. To run multiple versions on the same computer, make sure this directory has been named to the desired version of SolidWorks (i.e., SolidWorks Data10). To update this directory, copy the SolidWorks Data directory to a new location and rename for the new version (i.e., old = SolidWorks Data09, new = SolidWorks Data10). Point to new directory during the update and SolidWorks will update the database during the update.
              John Burrill

Lapo, SolidWorks recommends that you don't run the beta builds on a production machine since there could be inadvertant consequences.

We learned that last year when one of the other engineers and I were trying out the 2013 beta along side 2012.  Well, installing the beta upgraded the SolidWorks explorer and PDMWorks add-ins so that when he saved and checked in an assembly using 2012, the files were upconverted to 2013.  Because it was a top-level assembly and all of the components were converted a lot of other assemblies that used the same parts from our COTS library were throwing future version errors when we tried to load them.

Fortunately, I had the 2012 versions of all but the most recent changes to the files in my local cache.  We wound up recovering the vault from a back-up, checking-in the files on my machine and throwing away a days work. 

Our boss was unthrilled.

SolidWorks fixed the issue on Beta3, but it does illustrate the danger of running beta and production next to eachother.  In the very least, I would create a new partition on your hard-drive install windows on it, boot using that installation and load SolidWorks on that volume.

A better approach would be to load the beta on a workstation or laptop in your office that won't be used for production until the end of the beta program.