3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 9:10 AM by Sean Barnes

Why can't I change font and line colors of imported DXF files?????

Sean Barnes

I imported a DXF drawing file with colors that I would like to change.  It seems the layers imported but the colors in the layer properties are not what I'm seeing.  For instance most of the text is yellow (as it is on the DXF).  However, Solidworks layer properties indicate it should be black.  I've tried changing it to other colors but it stays yellow.  I've also tried creating a new layer but the colors will not change.  Is this a common problem and is there a solution?  While I could go back to the original DXF and change all those colors I will loose all the work I've already done.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

• Re: Why can't I change font and line colors of imported DXF files?????
          Glenn Schroeder

Sean,

I rarely deal with imported files, but it's been several hours and no one else has chimed in, so I'll take a stab at it.  I can think of two things to try. 

1.  Set up a new layer with the desired color and move the notations into it.

2.  If it's not already active, bring up your Line Format toolbar.  Highlight the desired notations and try to change the colors with it.  I'm not sure I've ever used the Line Format toolbar to change colors of notes or dimensions, but if the Layers won't work then it's the only other thing I can think of to try.

If neither of those work, can you post the file?  I'm at home now and don't have SW here, but if

• Re: Why can't I change font and line colors of imported DXF files?????
            John Burrill

Sean, SolidWorks has rules of precedence for colors similar to AutoCAD.

To sumarrize, you have a layer color assignment that can be overridden by selecting an entity and explicitly applying a color to it.  It sounds like this is the way colors are assigned in your dxf.

You can change the solidworks color to reflect the layer assignment by highlighting one or more (or all) objects, clicking the Line color tool on the line format toolbar, like Glenn was saying and clicking the checkbox labeleled "default"  The default color is the equivalent of the bylayer color in AutoCAD.

You'll notice your objects revert to the colors of the layers they're assigned to.default _color.PNG

Take a look at that and see if it helps.