4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 12:07 PM by Stefano Tiburzi

Aluminum tube: correct approach

Stefano Tiburzi

Hi everybody, I'm a Solidworks longtime user but relatively new to Simulation (I have Standard version).

I'm tryng to do my own case study in order to understand what are the right choices in modeling simple problems and apply them to more compicated ones.

So I'd like to show you this case: a simple aluminum square tube loaded with a force.

In the first study I have done, the model is treated as a beam: fixture on joints (no traslation the first, allowed traslation along the axis on the other joint as a roller), a 2000 N force in the middle joint (the tube has been divided two add the central joint). All plain and clear, the reasults are by the book.

ta-01.jpg

In the second study I wanted to treat the tube as a solid. I adopted the method to split in between the thickess by a midsurface in order to have two elements through it. Applying the fixture posed the first issues: should I have applied them to the edges of the tube or to a splitted face of the bottom of the tube? I chose the first one for semplicity.

To apply the force I tried to be closer to a real situation, so I split the upper face and applied the 2000 N force to it. After the calculations here the stress results:

ta-02.jpg

It doesn't make sense to me. While the global deformation and absolute values seem to be consistent, I don't understand the range of color: maybe the Von Mises results are with no -/+ sign? And how can I undestand in the "solid" case if the force is applied correctly? Is it more correct as i did or should I have applied it to a point or a line?

And what if I would to increase the number of elements only on the force apllied zone?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone!

Stefano Tiburzi