6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 5:32 PM by Charley Saint

Need help with ConisioDBServer.exe process

Bob Steffen

I just upgraded our ePDM to 2013sp3 from 2011.  After the upgarde, every time the server starts, ConisioDBServer.exe starts chewing up ram...eating more memory than SQL Server takes.  Last night it counted up to over 6 gigs of system ram, chewing up all of the available virtual memory (when you include SQL and all the other server processes) and the process eventually crashed.

Has anyone ever experienced this?  If so, what was the fix?

A related question:  I've noticed that the couple of times I killed the ConisioDBServer process, the ePDM was still available to our engineers.  What services does this helper provide and can ePDM run without it until a fix is implemented?

Conisio.PNG

The above image was taken 2 hours after ConsisioDBServer was restarted.

Message was edited by: Bob Steffen

• Re: Need help with ConisioDBServer.exe process
          Charley Saint

Bob,

The ConisioDBServer is responsible for notifications, XML Exports and replications. Basically it runs scheduled tasks against the database, and if you stop it you will only lose that functionality. I haven't seen it grow out of control like that before, a few things to check are the version of that file to make sure it got updated with everything else:

2013-07-03_0830.png

And check your Windows Event logs after you restart it, you will usually get a few messages about it connection to archive servers etc and any errors will be reported there.

Bob Steffen

Thanks for the info on the server service.  I've had to have it shut off for over a week now waiting for SW to come back with some info.

The ConisioDBServer.exe file has the exact same file version/date created as in your image.  As far as the event log, the only thing I get in the system log at start up is ID 7036 indicating that the enterprise pdm server service has entered the running state.  No errors.  In the app log it tells me it started (Event ID 0) and that it connected to the archive server on port 3030 (also Event ID 0).

I ran an uninstall/reinstall per our vendor's suggestion this past weekend.  Upon start up ConisioDBServer started merrily chewing up ram again.

You mentioned that you've seen other instances of this happening...  What were the eventual fixes?

Kip Speck

Bob,

quick question;

What is the size of your Databse fie and the log file? (These are typically named the same as your vault wimth the extension .mdf and .ldf)

What is the Recovery mode set to for your Vault Database?  Simple or Full?

Bob Steffen

Hi Kip...  The primary production database that everyone uses is currently 3.6gb.  The ldf is 2.4gb.  Recovery mode is set to full.

Kip Speck

Bob,

Please review the Installation guide and Admin Guide.  The prefered mode for Recovery is Simple.

Also, are you running out of disk space oin the drive where the datrabase is?

I suspect that there is an issue with this because there is so much data in the Transaction Log that the DB server is processing after the upgrade.

I can not gaurentee this will absolutly resolve the issue, and with no gaurentees, implied or written.....

I would recomend the following.

1. Make a Backup of your databse and Archive files

2. Make Sure everyone is logged out of EPDM.

3. Shutdown both EPDM services.

4. Open the SQL Management Studio and set the Recovery mode to Simple.

5. Wait until the transaction log finishes and step 4. has completed.

6. Restart the Server.

Once you ge this sorted out, you may also look at having the Databse and Archive files on different Physical drives, if they are not already.

Charley Saint

Bob,

Kip's post has some good advice. If you still see issues after that I'll assume you are using SMTP notifications and say try switching to database notifications to see if that stops the growth. Also look into XML imports and exports to see if they are running out of control.