9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2013 10:12 AM by Anna Wood

Display Style Issue

Mark Vanek

I was working on a part when all of a sudden the display style started acting up. I attached a picture with what it looks like. Right now, I am in a part environment with the display style set to "Shaded with edges." The display is orthogonal. When I change the display to perspective everything is fine. I attached some photos of what is going on. I have tried the following:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/215989#216026

Ajay,

You have a topological error in your model. Go to Tools>Options>System Options>Performance. The first checkbox is for "verification on rebuild". Turn that on, then hit CTRL-Q. This will do a full force rebuild, and it will probably turn some of your features RED. Those need to be analysed for why they are bad (causing inverted faces).

Make sure to turn verification on rebuild back off after you get it all fixed. It very significantly increases rebuild time, so you don't want it on all the time.

Here is an example of me doing this on purpose: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/68019#68019

However, it only helped a little and none of my features are red. Does anyone have a solution?

Other useful information:

Solidworks Office Premium 2010 x64 Edition

Computer:

Operating System: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

RAM: 4 GB

Graphics:

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (Sorry, I can't find any more specific information on it. dxdiag doesn't even give me the exact info.)

Display Memory: 1696 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

DDI Version: 10.1

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

Manufacturer: Intel

Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Driver: 8.15.10.2476

Your current graphics card/driver combination is not in the SolidWorks systems/graphics card database.

Card/driver combination information can be found at:  http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/VideoCardTesting.html

More information available upon request

• Re: Display Style Issue
          Joseph Weaver

This seems like a video card or driver issue. You need to find out your video card and look up to see if it is approved and or get the approved drivers for it.

Jeff Holliday

You should be able to find the graphic card info by running SolidWorks RX and choosing the diagnostics tab.

John Burrill

Basically, your dispaly adapter isn't suitable for SolidWorks.  Your Integrated video hardware doesn't fully implement OpenGL so you're seeing flipped face normals and other display glitches.  The reason it works in perspective mode or shaded with edges mode probably has more to do with your cards capabilities than SolidWorks.

To verify that this is the case, launch SolidWorks and before you open a document, go into the Options dialog box, System Options tab, Display/Performance panel and check "Use Software OpenGL".  Load your part and if it displays correct albeit rotates slowly that's confirmation that your video card is the culprit.

you should read the SolidWorks system requirements especially the parts on certified graphics adapters.

Mark Vanek

The display just started working correctly. I had tried closing solidworks and reopening it before and nothing changed. However, I just closed out a few programs and noticed my RAM usage dropped down. I then opened up solidworks to find that the part was displaying fine. The weird thing is that the graphics were only screwed up on that part alone. I had opened other documents and found that they displayed correctly. The other parts were geometrically similar yet there were no problems with them. I did not restart my computer to get it to work.

John,

The "Use Software OpenGL" is always checked and locked. I cannot change it.

Anna,

I open up the computer and it does not look like there is a separate dedicated video card. I believe the computer has integrated graphics. The make of the computer is Hewett Packard. The model is HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC (SN006UC)

Anna Wood

Mark,

That is a very basic office computer designed for e-mail and Microsoft Office.  Wow, I feel for you if that is what your corporate IT people think is adequate for a SolidWorks workstation.  Or are you in an educational setting and these are the computers in the lab?

How many gigs of RAM?  Does it have a 64 bit operating system on it?  You can check by going to your Computer icon, RMB and select Properties.

Not surprised that having too many windows or files open and the video tanks on the system.  The computer is not designed for the high end compute power needed to run SolidWorks well.  SolidWorks runs, but you will need to be careful on how much stuff you try to do or have open at the same time.

If you do small assemblies and parts without a lot of complexity or features you may get by.  Going to be torture if you try to do anything big.

You may want to see if your IT people will put a Nvidia Quadro K600 in the machine and 8 gigs of RAM if it is an x64 bit operating system.

Do not let the IT people install any of the video cards listed for that system on the HP website.  None of those cards are approved or adequate for running SolidWorks.

You want a video card from SolidWorks Approved list.  http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html.   It will also need to be a low profile video card.  The Quadro K600 fits that criteria.

FWIW,

Anna

Mark Vanek

Anna,

Our current Solidworks is not an education version. Although I am relatively new to Solidworks I have a lot of experience with Autodesk Inventor and a strong foundation in modeling. If it keeps acting up I can use the “Hidden Lines” display style to do my modeling.

The current computer has 4 GB of RAM and is a 64 bit Windows 7 computer (check the original post, I am constantly updating the "Other Information" section). We are currently in the process of switching to Windows 7 and my computer was one of the first to be switched out. I talked with IT and we can put in an old 64 MB NVIDIA graphics card or a 64 MB ATI graphics card:

NVIDIA – Model: P117 (For information Google 180-10117-0000-B00)

ATI – Google 109-A2600-00

Both of which are not certified for Solidworks.

The reason our computers are so low grade is that they are not chosen by us. We are mainly using AutoCAD 2009 but we wanted to start shifting to using 3D models and parametric modeling.

If we were to get a graphics card, what is the cheapest card available?

Anna Wood

Do not bother with the other old GPU's.  They would be in the trash bin at our place.

Get the Nvidia Quadro K600.  You need a professional workstation class card, not a gamer card or the cheapest thing that can be bought at Best Buy.

The reason I asked about the school environment was mainly because my advice might be different.  I do not want a college student running out and spending to much money on a computer when they aren't running SolidWorks all day long.   They can usually suffer through some graphics glitches.

Good to hear the systems are Win 7 x64.  Just need to see about getting a K600 in it for the GPU.

Cheers,

Anna