10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 10:33 PM by Dave Krum

question on rotating a part

Dave Krum

Hello again all,

I've been working on a home project at night (after kids go to bed lol) for the last few weeks to practice learning SW by modeling my existing deck (and then model the future extension on it eventually).  Going ok so far but I've reached a bind with trying to model the sloped railing to go on the steps.  The straight railing wasn't too difficult to model but I'd like to now somehow preserve the spindle revolves and profiles of top/bottom rail that are already done and slope the whole thing down about 30 degrees.  I played around with editing the profile sketch for the top rail and choose to "rotate entity" but that doesn't seem to work.  Since the extrusion is already done horizontally, can I simply rotate the extrusion 30 degrees?  I wouldn't think I'd have to draw the entire profile over again.  Or maybe just make a new plane 30 degrees from existing one?  Just looking for suggestions on the best way to go about this.  See attachment of the railing.  I've also attached a screenshot of the deck where this railing needs to go.  Thanks in advance for all the help as always.

• Re: question on rotating a part
          Deepak Gupta

Draw a sketch on front plane in the part mode for railing with lines at 30°.

Now use that line to define the direction of extrusion and finally edit the profiles and other sketches to get what you need.

Here is a video of what I've done. In case you need files I can offer minimum 2012 version, sorry for that.

Dave Krum

Deepak,

Thanks for the info.  This is exactly what I need to do (you're an expert at this!).  The only thing is that I really can't see what you did to make it happen yet.  The video is too fast and I'm constantly pausing it.  For starters, I see you rolled back to before "boss extrude-1" and made a sketch with a new line at 30 degrees downward as you mentioned.  Then modified "boss extrude-1" and picked new 30 deg line to define extrusion along this instead of the horiz. one.  Following along with the vid now.  If I stumble, I'll get back with ya.  Thanks again.

Deepak Gupta

I always try to capture the video in slow motion but that's make them really huge in size which goes beyond the files size allowed on this forum. I've to compress them for a want to upload the files. I'll see if I can make the video again in slow motion and send you somehow. Can I've your email id so that I can upload the video on an external site and send you the link to download.

Ok attached are some pics with added description. There are two things not shown in the video:

1. I've moved the sketch for extrude 5 inside
                  2. I've modified/fixed the sketch for cut revolve. I've to do this because sketch was not defined and when extrude 5 got changed, the sketch for cut revolve got messed up.
                      Dave Krum

My work email is dkrum@lmfab.com but I'm home today and my home email is conqst99@yahoo.com

I have two questions regarding the video.  First, I notice that you selected "front plane" just prior to sliding the scroll bar down past extrude 1 (with the 2 line sketch still showing) - what is this for?  Is it needed?

Second, I got to the point in the vid where you scroll to "boss extrude 5" to bring the balluster back in.  Yours is showing properly, but mine has the lower end off the right end and I don't believe I did anything different.

Appreciate the assistance!  I may be able to figure this out w/o you having to slow the video down.

Deepak Gupta

I notice that you selected "front plane" just prior to sliding the scroll bar down past extrude 1 (with the 2 line sketch still showing) - what is this for?  Is it needed?

This was done to show that sketch was made on front plane

Second, I got to the point in the vid where you scroll to "boss extrude 5" to bring the balluster back in.  Yours is showing properly, but mine has the lower end off the right end and I don't believe I did anything different.

I've moved the sketch to the inside with same dimension i.e. 4.25".

Check the pics I've uploaded in post above.

Dave Krum

I think I finally got it. That was pretty tricky.  You're right, the revolve was a pain to fix.  I ended up just deleting the sketch and revolve and copying/pasting/moving each curve from the straight section to the sloped rail (from the original rail file).  Also deleted the linear pattern cuz it was chopping off the tops a little bit.  Just made a new linear pattern and attached is what I got.

Kieran Choy

Making a new plane 30 degrees from vertical and extruding is the easist option, but certainly not the best, partically because you would have to redraw the profile.

If practice is what you're after, learn to use the sweep command. I'd start by doing the sweep and revolve tutorial under the help menu. Using a sweep means that you only have to draw the profile once, and it will give you a nice miter where the horizontal and diagonal rail meet.

You'll probably also have to remodel your part and work out a way to get the stiles to follow the railing and then either trim or extend the ends to match the diagonal rail, but that's all part of the learning process