7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 6:59 PM by Hannah Liang

file types and heat transfer between two temperature air

Hannah Liang

Hi, all,

I am trying to find a description regarding SWFS file type, such as fld means result file, etc... Where are they?

And FS could solve two different temperature fluid mixing problem, but there is no example. I need to check heat transfer in solids box in physical feature even though I don't have any solid inside fluid region, just two fluid mixing together. Am I correct?

Thanks for help.

hannah

• Re: file types and heat transfer between two temperature air
          Bill McEachern

No I don't think you are correct. Just make a box with 2 inlet and one outlet. Put in the same fluid at two different temperature and plot temperature. They just as easily can be different fluids.

file extensions...not really well documented but if you take the trainng course they have a slide with what's what.

• Re: file types and heat transfer between two temperature air
            Jared Conway

file types are described in the help and the solidworks discussion forum. if you're running steady state analyses, you should only care about x.fld where x is a number that corresponds to the flow results directory for your study. if you have transient, there will be a sequence of fld files you'll want to save.

here's an excerpt from the help:

Flow Simulation stores results in the <ProjectDirectory>.fld file. This file is stored in the project folder accessible by clicking Flow Simulation > Project > Open Project Directory. The r_000000.fld file contains results obtained for the zero iteration, i.e. initial computational mesh and initial parameters distribution.

regarding your other question, i'm trying to understand the root of your question. are you asking what the option "heat conduction in solids" means?

if that is the case, if you don't include it, you're solving a fluid only problem. temperature and mixing still happens, but only in the fluid. it doesn't get transmit to the solids. I think they are considered adiabatic/insulators. so you might want to consider what that means in your problem.

if you choose "heat conduction in the solids only", then no flow problem is solved at all, only conduction problem and the associated convection and radiation that you apply manually.