11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 2:53 PM by Andy Morum

Thickening surfaces that

Erin Keaney

Hello,

This is my first time posting on a SolidWorks Forum. I have been working on the attached part and am struggling with thickening the "shield" part of the glasses (green). I can get one side and the whole middle piece to thicken when I fillet the meeting edge of them, but then the fillet won't mirror or duplicate on the other meeting edge, which should be exactly the same. My goal is to have the whole "shield" knitted together, then place the fillets, then have it all thicken as one piece so there are no gaps.

I would also like this to be treated like a solid once it is thickened so some through holes I have actually cut through the "shield".

Any tips or help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Erin

• Re: Thickening surfaces that
          Andy Morum

So I checked this out and I think I have a solution for you.  It may not be the most finest way but it seems to work.

I'll post the result but I am using 2012 Solidworks so not sure if you have this or not as I noted your file was in an older version.

1. I trimmed your lens using the right plane and removing the side with out the fillet.
          2. I then mirrored the remaining side using the right plane.
          3. I then thickened the part and all worked.

Give it a try and see what you think

I am attaching the repaired file and a edrawing just in case you can`t open the repaired file.

Andy M

Erin Keaney

I realized that this solution will not merge the shield together into one body and will not let me combine the two halves into one part.  It will will knit the surfaces, but this still keeps them as two seperate solid bodies.  In fact, I haven't gotten the "combine" feature for me to work on anything so far.  This is my first time making a multiple piece part in the same model.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Erin

Andy Morum

Erin

Looking at what I have, I note that the Thickened part shows as one solid body.  Is this not the case for youi?

Looking at the mirror I turned on Knit surfaces, this might be the problem.

See attached jpg

Erin Keaney

Andy,

My shield is two bodies, a thicken and a mirror.  I can't combine them and redoing the steps didn't change the parts, just the order of them in the solid bodies section.  This is with Knit surfaces on in the mirror.

shield is 2 solid bodies.png

How did you attatch, rather than insert your image?

Thanks,

Erin

Andy Morum

That's odd, might be a difference between 2011 and 2012.

Can you send me your file and I can take a look.

I attached by using the advanced editor function in the upper right corner of the post dialog box.

Once in advanced editor the attached feature is at the bottom.

By the way I was playing around with your file, I have attaching your lens as a seperated file for your review.

Andy M

Erin Keaney

I have attached my file.  If it is the difference between 2011 and 2012, then that would explain why my Cut-Extrude4 and Mirror14 solid bodies collectively make up the “center brow” of my part, which each have different important features.  I had to export one, cut it in half, and then mirror it to get the desired part, which makes future edits a pain.

Thank you for those instructions.

Unfortunately, I cannot open the file you sent me.  How did you manipulate it?

Thanks,

Erin

Andy Morum

I see the difference.

you thickened the part then mirrored it.

Try mirroring the surface and then thicken.

see attached video in avi format

Andy M

Erin Keaney

Ahh ok.  I will see if I can find similar order problems with my center brow.  The shield still wont take the final cut extrude I try to make, but I can export it and edit to make it work.

Thank you so much for your time.

~Erin

Andy Morum

Erin,

From the Solid bodies folder I deleted Cut Extrude16[2].

Next I greated a plane using the front face were the hole is of the center brow.

I then usied this plan to create a sketch, I selected the edge of the circle that creates the hole in the center brow and I used convert entities in the sketch toolbar to create the circle.

Next I did an extrude cut using this sketch to make the hole in the lens.

I'm in solidworks anyway most days so this is a nice little detraction from fighting with my own designs .

Andy M