12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 8:48 AM by Jeff Holliday

Whats the difference between Solidworks Professional and EPDM?

jeremy brock

Hello,

Currently we run 1 seat of Solidworks Standard. We have 1 CAD designer (me) and been looking into Solidworks EPDM and really interested in the program.

Yesterday I looked up Solidworks Professional and I see it includes File Management via the vault with secure check-in/check-out, Revision Control and Edrawings Professional which seems to be what EPDM is all about. Would it be smarter and more cost effective to just upgrade from Solidworks Standard to Professional OR run Solidworks Standard and purchase down the road EPDM?

Just curious on the packages.

Thanks

Jeremy

• Re: Whats the difference between Solidworks Professional and EPDM?
          Patrick O'Hern

If you only have one person using the program, the Workgroup PDM (which is what comew with SW Professional), would probably be fine for you.  EPDM adds a lot of extra features and funcionality that WPDM doesn't have.  If all you need is revision control and file management, then WPDM should work.  Here is the matrix showing the main differences in the programs: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/product-data-management/data-management-matrix.htm

John Burrill

I agree with Patrick.  It's unlikely you need site replication, email notifications or project integration for just one user-especially if you're running on a laptop.  You also get a bunch of useful stuff besides file management with the professional version.

jeremy brock

So I contacted my Solidworks Reseller and asked about Solidworks Professional. He mentioned that the Workgroup PDM is no longer supported by solidworks as of 2008 and is stuck in the stoneage. More are trying to get out of the WPDM and convert over to the EPDM. If it is no longer supported why keep attaching it to solidworks?

Jeremiah Griffith

I do not believe that is true. I have heard from several people over the years that WPDM is not "supported" anymore. However, as far as I know, and through my experiences it is. It is not actively being developed, but it is still supported which is why they continue to offer it.  (Someone from SolidWorks please correct me if I am in fact wrong.)

I implemented WPDM 2 years ago, had issues with it at first due to poor information from my VAR's technical team. Ended up eventually working directly with SolidWork's technical support team on the issue, and filed a couple of service #'s. They worked on them, fixed them, and now my WPDM install works fine.

I think for what you are needing to do, WPDM is the way to go.  EPDM is way over kill for your needs, and signifigantly more expensive to purchase and implement.

Regards,

Jeremiah

Alin Vargatu

jeremy brock wrote:

So I contacted my Solidworks Reseller and asked about Solidworks Professional. He mentioned that the Workgroup PDM is no longer supported by solidworks as of 2008 and is stuck in the stoneage. More are trying to get out of the WPDM and convert over to the EPDM. If it is no longer supported why keep attaching it to solidworks?

As Daen and Stephen stated, your VAR is wrong. WPDM is a supported products (is, after all, part of SW Pro).

Jeff Holliday

I would suggest a good first step would be to find good VAR and say good-by to whoever gave you such completeley false info about WPDM. As stated, it does not appear to be being developed any further, but is still supported and no time-table has been released for it being "killed".

Daen Hendrickson

Jeremiah is correct. WPDM is being supported but not being developed. Its death has been reported for years, but not true.

Supported means you can get full help from your VAR and many folks here on the forum use it successfully.

Not Developed means it is a mature product. The features that are there are all you are going to get. Don't expect anything new next release. I think the only development WPDM gets is to ensure it ports over to the newest release.

There is a significant cost difference between WPDM and EPDM. Besides the initial software cost, EPDM's extensive feature set may require significant setup time.

Yes, WPDM is stuck in the stone age. I wish for additional features all the time. But for what it does, it does it pretty well. I concure with everyone else's advise: unless you specifically require the functionality in EPDM, WPDM is probably the better choice for now.

Daen

Stephen Reed

I would disagree with your VAR, WPDM is not stone-age. We successfully used it for 5 years (until Feb. this year) with up to 15 ysers and a vault size of over 300 gb.  There are times I wish we had never left it, but that's off topic.  Sounds like your VAR would like to sell you Enterprise PDM, which I can't blame them for that but it may be over kill for your needs.

A couple of things to be aware of before deciding on buying EPDM. One is that the software isn't cheap, we had a hard sell to management to get it approved.  Secondly, there is more expense than buying software.  You will need training, both user and for an admin or 2. Both are very important from my experience. Additionally, you will need help setting up your vault and work flows unless you or someone on staff have extensive experience doing that. Finally, you will need help with data migration, that is getting your data from where it currently resides and into the vault.  Speaking of the vault, it is recommended that it be on a dedicated server, which may be another expense for you. 

All this, except for the server, you will probably get from your VAR. In our experience it wasn't cheap; it could well equal the cost of the software itself. However, if you are making the jump to EPDM, I would recommend all of it.  I just wanted you to be aware that there are more costs than just buying a software package.

Regards,

Steve R