4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 12:08 PM by Anna Wood

View manipulation issues

Eduard Ferrero

Hello!

I have a Nvidia quadro FX1700 running on W7 x64 bits with the solidworks 2012 recommended driver version.

When trying to rotate or pan the view (with a considerable number of entities), solidworks gets stuck for some seconds (100% CPU usage) and then it rotates at high speed. It is really annoying the several seconds pause every time I need to navigate on the design!

¿can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

• Re: View manipulation issues
          Anna Wood

Do you have a screenshot of your model?

How many entities?  Do you have a lot transparencies, real view, FSAA, and or AO toggled on?  Working with a lot of imported, dumb solids or surfaces?

Tell us more about your model?

Be sure you have a Windows Aero Desktop theme enabled.

Cheers,

Anna

Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  In addition to what Anna said, if you have a lot of parts, with complex features (such as threads on bolts) that also might cause that behavior.

Eduard Ferrero

Anna, I write over your post:

How many entities? 369 solids in total

Do you have a lot transparencies, none.

real view, I tried both enabled and disabled. Same behavior.

FSAA, Uhm... I do not know what is FSAA or how to enable/disable

AO, again.. I do not know what is AO or how to enable/disable

Working with a lot of imported, dumb solids or surfaces? Definetively yes. One of the components is a parasolid imported assembly with +800 solid objects

Be sure you have a Windows Aero Desktop theme enabled. ¿enabled? Should it increase performance?

Thank you again for your help.

Anna Wood

Suppress the big parasolid assembly and see if the model rotates better.

In talking with the Nvidia folks in the last few weeks I have learned that dumb solids can really drag down display performance.  SolidWorks actually takes advantage of features and assembly structure to add some smarts to how it present models on screen and how it processes data with the video card.

If you work with a lot of imported data or surface models your hardware and video card is working real hard to process that data for display on screen.

Having a several generation old video card and CPU is also not helping either.  New hardware will help, but there are still some software issues that need to get sorted in future versions of SolidWorks.  SW2013 had some work done on Shaded with Edges.  I hear there was also more work done on leveraging video card performance in SW2014.  Not sure if dumb solid performance was a big benefactor with this round of improvements.

FWIW,

Anna