9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2013 6:50 PM by John Girgenti

How to disable EPDM

John Girgenti

I am using MS Visual Studio 2012 to write an add-in to SolidWorks and EPDM.  I have an older project that was written in MSVC 2010, so MSVS 2012 needs to update the project.  When this process runs I get the following dialog. When I closed this dialog MSVS closed as well.

EPDM Crash.png

After this happened I exited out of EPDM from the task bar and made sure the EpdmServer.exe task ended. When I tried to update the project after that the same dialog came up taking MSVS down with it again. Are there any other tasks or services that need to be stopped to completey disable EPDM?

TIA

John

• Re: How to disable EPDM
          Tim Webb

Try restarting explorer.exe and edmserver.exe John.

When I am developing, I run this .bat file before starting VS

@echo off

taskkill /f /im edmserver.exe

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

exit

I think eDrawingsOfficeAutomator.exe gets in the way so I kill that one too.

Let us know what you come up with.

HTH

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

John Girgenti

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info - I like the batch approach.  The problem still occurs however.  I found two other tasks, sldworks_fs.exe and viewserver.exe and killed them as well but no improvement.  I don't have the eDrawingsOfficeAutomator.exe task on my system.  I also looked through all the running services and did not see anything obviously related to EPDM. I'll keep at it in the meantime.

Regards,

John

Jeff Sweeney

Are there any project files in the vault? Perhaps the update routine is connecting to your vault view to update some files?

Lee CS Young

Try moving the project onto another drive if your vault view and project are on the same drive. If you're attempting to backup the project before you update, you could try skipping that too. One other thing you could try would be to remove the references to EdmLib from the project manually. (Editing .csproj or .vbproj).

That's all I can think of.

John Girgenti

Hi Lee,

I moved all the project files onto a network drive and the problem still occurs.  I don't have any EPDM references in this project, my task is to add EPDM functinality to this add-in I created a while ago - if I can get it updated. I've started looking at creating a new project and importing what I can.  It looks like the problem parts will be the Windows Forms to start, lots of errors. Another option is to install the 30 day trial of MSVS 2012 on a non-EPDM machine and see if I can update.

Regards,

John

Lee CS Young

I could try to update it for you if you'd like, just shoot me an email. lcsy@ehcanadian.ca

Charley Saint

John,

Another thing you might try is disabling the vault view temporarily (Check in everything you have checked out first just to be safe). Use command prompt to navigate into the vault folder and run the commands :

attrib -s -h desktop.ini

move desktop.ini desktop.ini2

This will turn the vault view into a standard windows folder, make sure you do this for all views on your workstation as you don't know which one it may be trying to access. After you convert your project just reverse those commands:

move desktop2.ini desktop.ini

attrib +s +h desktop.ini

Let us know if that works.

John Girgenti

Thank you all for your help. I installed the 30day trial of MSVC on a machine that was not running EPDM and the conversion of the project still failed - nothing from the results lead me to believe there was a fix that would be less work that a rebuild of the solution. Still interesting how EPDM throws the error when I try it on the EPDM machine; too much fuss with at this point though.  I did learn some nice developement techniques from this discussion which again I thank you all for your input.

Regards,

John