5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 11:00 AM by Gary Lucas

Moving from Edge to Works

Gary Lucas

Hello,

I've used Solid Edge and Autocad for the past 7 years, Rhino for 6 years before that, and have recently changed jobs.  My new employer bought me a seat of Solid Works last week. I have used SW a little already as a I had a friend with a seat and he let me play for a bit.

The plan here is for me to pick up a small project already started in Solid Works and to then develop some new products for the company.  We work in the waste water industry. At my previous job I was designing skids for Ultrafiltration and Reverse Osmosis.  I also do electrical design.

My first question here is about whether there is value in implementing Workgroup PDM right from the start, even though I am likely to be the only seat for a very long time.  I am well aware of the problems caused by a poorly constructed library, I lived that nightmare already.  The small project that was here already is nicely modelled but poorly organized.  So my thought was to implement the PDM right from the start.

So what benefits might I see from using PDM?

The second issue has to do with the fact that we do jobs, not manufacture a product that gets done over and over.  So while two jobs may look very similar they all require substantial changes to suit the site requirements and the demands of 3rd party engineers.  What we did with Solid Edge was that all purchased parts reside in the common library, and all fabricated parts or assemblies are located in the local job folder.  All the parts and assemblies in the local job folder have the job number as a prefix to the file name.  When we did a simalar job we would use SE Revision Manager to copy the parts, and assemblies to the new job folder while simutaneously changing the job number prefix.  That way the only link between jobs is through the common library.  Make all the changes you want to the new job, any part with a job number prefix is okay to modify. How would I accieve a similar result in Solid Works?

Thanks,

Gary H. Lucas

• Re: Moving from Edge to Works
          Anna Wood

Gary,

Your process for handling jobs will work well with SolidWorks.  That workflow is how we setup our projects in SW.  We do all kinds of semi-custom work.  Copy the old (with appropriate file renaming) and morph into the new.  Common library components in their own space for re-use.

If you can, setup PDM from the get go....

SolidWorks Explorer will be your friend until you get PDM setup.

Cheers,

Anna

John Burrill

Hi Gary, welcome to the sphere of SolidWorks.  You probably saw Matt Lombard walking the other way when you were heading over hear. (metaphysical joke)

Anyway, what you're proposing makes a lot of sense.  Even if you'rea  one-man-show, it makes lots of sense to store everything in PDMWorks where you don't have to worry about file name conflicts, or competing folder structures or file history.  As a matter of fact, the arrangement you are talking about of project folders and an off-the-shelf component library is exactly how I implement PDM.

pdm_projects_window.PNG

My suggestion is before you try to make a vault for yourself, you do the tutorials that come with SolidWorks for setting up and using Workgoup PDM.  This will give you a comprehensive understanding of the tool and its limitations before you decide how you want  to structure your own installation.  One note, if you came from a TeamCenter background Workgroup PDM is going to be pretty elementary in comparrison. 

Welcome to the show.  Make sure you set up a Customer Portal account, do your home installation and get a sassy picture for your Forum avatar.

Patrick O'Hern

I would go ahead and set up your PDM, that way you can get your workflows set up the way you need them, and don't have to worry about changing things down the road.

When I used Workgroup, we had a similar setup to yours.  We kept common/purchased parts in one location of the vault, and then each job would get it's own folder.  Most of our jobs would be similar to existing jobs, so we would check out a similar job, and use pack and go to rename all the files to the new job number (There is a replace text feature to make this easy).  Once everything was updated, the new files would be checked into the vault in their own folder.

Jerry Steiger

Gary,

I will chime in with the rest and suggest that you implement PDM from the start. We went to PDM as soon as we had a second ME, as it was so much easier to keep track of all the files and revisions. Even if we shrank back to just one person I would want to have PDM just for the revision tracking.

Good luck with the transition from Solid Edge. Try to keep an open mind and try not to assume that they will work the same. In the best of all possible worlds your boss would send you to training, but if that doesn't happen, work your way through all of the SW tutorials. (Actually, you should do that before you go to class, if you get that chance.)

Jerry S.

Gary Lucas

Jerry,

At my old job (where i am actually sitting today!) there was no possibilty of training. They expected the first SE guy to train me. He thinks knowledge is power and you don't share it. I have a more biblical view. Knowledge can be shared with the multitudes and they will in turn feed you too. It didn't work out well for him. I learned from the newsgroups and when we started butting heads over how things should be done management solved it. They made me the administrator!

My new boss is sending me for training on lots of things, so if I feel the need for it I'm sure I can get it here. My second day they bought me SW. Yesterday they bought me an AutoCad block library. So life is good!