2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 2:51 AM by Shaun Erasmus

A few Glitches in the FE Matrix (Simulation)

Shaun Erasmus

Hi all, I am listing a few things below that I have come across in the current version of SW 2013 SP3 Simulation, please comment if you have found a work-around or solution to any of them?

- The symbols for loads and fixtures are very temperamental, they show now and then, sometimes one of two loads shows, sometimes fixtures don't show and I have no idea why? They are not hidden and the symbols are turned on, as some of the symbols still come up.

- The current config sometimes jumps, unprompted, between the default and exploded configurations.

- When editing the values of a thermal resistance contact or the gap clearance of a no pen contact, a remesh is forced and apparently this wasn't always the case?

- Switching between different configurations sometimes causes the mesh to be out of date, even when returning to the correct configuration.

- I have no idea what the "An element type is not available for Elastic Support #"?

Lastly, is there a way to set the default type for the result plot "Save as" option to .JPEG?

Thanks!

• Re: A few Glitches in the FE Matrix (Simulation)
          Jared Conway

- The symbols for loads and fixtures are very temperamental, they show now and then, sometimes one of two loads shows, sometimes fixtures don't show and I have no idea why? They are not hidden and the symbols are turned on, as some of the symbols still come up.

>seen this but it has basically always come down to me using the show/hide command and forgetting about it.

- The current config sometimes jumps, unprompted, between the default and exploded configurations.

>haven't seen this. if it is exploded it shows exploded, if it isn't, it doesn't. could it be that when you switch to probe everything collapses?

- When editing the values of a thermal resistance contact or the gap clearance of a no pen contact, a remesh is forced and apparently this wasn't always the case?

>those seem like reasonable reasons for a remesh to happen. (haven't tested or been exposed to it before though) when wasn't it the case?

- Switching between different configurations sometimes causes the mesh to be out of date, even when returning to the correct configuration.

>seen this, almost always it is because something is being rebuilt which is the trigger

- I have no idea what the "An element type is not available for Elastic Support #"?

>seen this, almost always been a bad setup or bad mesh.

Lastly, is there a way to set the default type for the result plot "Save as" option to .JPEG?

>what is the default on your system? i don't think this is possible. check the simulation options. generally i use the snipping tool in simulation to create my screenshots.

my suggestion would be to get examples of each of these, package them up, and send them off to your reseller. but make sure to check they aren't already existing issues in the solidworks KB

• Re: A few Glitches in the FE Matrix (Simulation)
              Shaun Erasmus

Thanks Jared, truly appreciate your prompt responses.

>seen this but it has basically always come down to me using the show/hide command and forgetting about it.

>>> Apperently this has been fixed in 2014 b2 (SPR# - 598773)

>those seem like reasonable reasons for a remesh to happen. (haven't tested or been exposed to it before though) when wasn't it the case?

>>> I have never been exposed to it either, I was told that it wasn't always the case. I agree with you that it is a reasonable cause.

>seen this, almost always it is because something is being rebuilt which is the trigger

>>> That makes more sense now, probably could be avoided by using the freeze bar, to a certain extent?

>seen this, almost always been a bad setup or bad mesh.

>>> Good to know, will keep it in mind when it comes up again.

>what is the default on your system? i don't think this is possible. check the simulation options. generally i use the snipping tool in simulation to create my screenshots.

>>> Mine comes up as the analysis part for eDrawings, which is fine for me, I have just heard of people wanting to set the default.

Thanks Jared!