1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 5:03 PM by Robin Bloemberg

Considering EPDM for Solid Edge

Robin Bloemberg

Hi,

First post here from a Solid Edge user considering shifting from Teamcenter to EPDM. Three questions come to mind after my first look at EPDM:

1. The EPDM interface looks a lot like Windows Explorer. I like that. Even the path to a CAD file in the address bar looks the same as in Explorer. Does that mean my Solid Edge batch macro's that traverse Windows folders will still work (i.e. batch print all drawings in a folder)?
      2. Does EPDM only store the CAD links in a database while the CAD files remain in a Windows folder structure, or is that just looks?
      3. I've read that the links between Solid Edge assemblies are resolved by EPDM by using a hidden Solid Edge session. Does that mean that a where used query still takes minutes, or is there a significant performance gain from SQL?

Thanks in advance,

Robin.

• Re: Considering EPDM for Solid Edge
          Michael Spens

Hi Robin,

1. Yes, your SolidEdge files would be in the same Explorer folders you see in the user interface.  You can still use your batch macros after using a "Get Latest" function in EPDM (gets you a local copy of the files of interest).  If your batch routine changes the files, check them out first.
          2. Yes, the CAD references/links (where used and contains) are stored in the database and the master files themselves are stored on a file server (Archive).  When you retrieve them as a user, you get them in their organized folder structure.
          3. The references are resolved and added to the database on check-in, so the where used structure is built at that point by a running SolidEdge process.  After the files are checked in for the first time, where used and contains reports are just querying the database results.  So no long waits for where used reports!

Mike