16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2013 10:24 PM by Chris Sattler

GAMING CARDS VS GRAPHIC CARDS

Drew Fullerton

Ok, I admit it, I like to play games, specifically on-line shooters, and have a pretty decent NVidia gaming card.

BUT SW only has "certified" so many "graphics cards".

I thought the gaming industry was leading the way for computer graphics???? .. are we to believe that graphics cards are 'better' than gaming cards???

Regardless, I suppose my questions that welcome all responses are:

1. We are paying a pretty penny for the SW product - why aren't more cards "certified"????
      2. Are the graphics cards really that much better than the gaming cards???
        1. For example, what is 'better' about the NVidia Quadro 4000 than the Nvidia Geforce 560 gtx?
      3. Why are there instabilites in the SW software? is it really that finicky and susceptible to artifacts that develop over time???

Help me understand!!!!!!

Call me bamboozled!!!!

• Re: GAMING CARDS VS GRAPHIC CARDS
          Josh Brady

This has been #d and re#d and the re# #d again. 

Drew Fullerton

Kevin, wow .. don't I feel sheepish!??!

In retrospect my original post was from sheer frustration in that I recently inlcuded sim pro with SW pro and all has been good. Everything was working as it should; including generating reports with welds, viewing weld line graphs between surfaces and solids etc, life was good.

Then, for no apparent reason, I can no longer view weld graphs, when I try to have SW list weld results, my system now freezes? Further, any attempts to generate a report that include edge weld connectors seize up as well. Any reports without edge weld connectors run just fine.

In summary, out of the blue, some of the functionality I have enjoyed since I purchased SW sim pro has disappeared .... the reason according to SW support is my video card - I'm simply having a challenge accepting that the video card and SW no longer want to play nicely together.

Jason Capriotti

I would say no the graphics aren't any better. In fact the Quadro cards are based on Geforce card chips....perhaps they do something to the Quadro to maek them more "stable" for CAD use or just stable in general but I'm skeptical.

I game as well and have a Nvidia GTX260 in my home machine. It runs SoildWorks fine......sometimes you have to try a few different drivers though. Nothing taxes my system and graphics card more than a game Crysis, Mechwarrior, or Dead Island.....all my fans will be going full throttle, not to mention the temp in the room rises a few degrees......SolidWorks never makes the system react that way......maybe if I were do a larger render or simulation but I've not tried that at home.

If this is a serious machine for work....I'd probably go with the Quadro......you just get less bang for you $$$ on the gaming side......necessary evil perhaps.

Drew Fullerton

Jason, thanks for taking the time to reply to this topic!

As a newbie, I missed all the previous threads on this issue.

I had no idea that the Quadro cards were based on the GeForce platform!?!

I currently have a GeForce GTX560 that drives BF3 - a first person shooter, quite nicely with a very acceptable frame rate.

AND, until recently, has done a great job with SW Sim Pro.

As I mentioned to Kelvin L. in an earlier post, all has been good. Everything has worked as it should; including generating reports with welds, viewing weld line graphs between surfaces and solids etc.

Then, for no apparent reason, I could no longer view weld graphs or list weld results without a system freeze-up? Further, any attempts to generate a report that include edge weld connectors seize up as well. Any reports without edge weld connectors continue to run just fine.

In summary, out of the blue, some of the functionality I have enjoyed since I purchased SW sim pro has disappeared .... the reason according to SW support is my video card - I'm simply having a challenge accepting that the video card and SW no longer want to play nicely together.

Perhaps you're right, the magic is in the drivers?!

Jerry Steiger

Drew,

I doubt that your problem came "out of the blue", although it seems like it to you. Something changed on your computer to cause SW to change its behavior. Is there anything you can remember that might have changed? Perhaps it was a Windows update, something the IT guys did, or something else that you have little control over.

It's possible that changing drivers may help. On the other hand it may not. The odds are better that running an approved graphics card and driver will work, but it is possible that you will still have problems.

As a check, you might try running software OpenGL. Your system should be slower, but will probably be more stable. If that is the case, then you know the problem is in the card/driver. Still no guarantee that an approved card and driver will work, but the odds are better.

Jerry S.

Jason Pietka

I agree with Jason.  I have a GTX TITAN (GK110 core) my home workstation and it cuts through SW like butter.  At work I have a GTX 660 and it does fine.  But I can see a driver breaking some features in SW. 

You would think SW and Nvidia would get together.

Drew Fullerton

Jerry S. - in fact I did 'update" the Nvidia driver for the GTX560 to the latest version (I have subsequently rolled it back)

So, here is a little more background:

1. I set up a little prob to specifically test full face bonds vs edge bonds vs welds on two small cubes (one shell another a solid)
                        1. it is within the context of this problem that I have experinced the issue that led to my post(s); whereas
                      2. I am also working on a prototype for a client where, with the same bond types within the model - no issues!!!???

So I'm thinkin' there is no consistent reason/rationale as to why this is happening.

Luck of the draw???

I guess I'll stick with my "all singing - all dancing" gaming card and carr on as though all is normal!!

Anna Wood

Drew,

Can you post your test files?  That way we can test on our systems as well.

Cheers,

Anna

Drew Fullerton

Anna, I cannot as I garbaged them; however, I do have reports from some of the trials - would they help?

They are attached anyway:

1. Assem1-Study 1 with welds-2: a report that worked (when everything was working nicely);
                              2. Assem1-Study 1-1: a report generated from the system after the freeze-up started without connector definitions which seemed to be at the heart of the matter. The report generated fine;

Fortunately this/these seem to be the only configs where this was happening as the files I am using for my real work are just fine!

No freeze-ups, welds are being rendered as I would expect, weld plots are being generated, etc - go figure!!??

Should you attempt to duplicate the effects from the configs you can see in the two reports, I'd be interested in your findings.

Anything else I can provide - let me know

Chris Sattler

You still consider this not answered so

I thought the gaming industry was leading the way for computer graphics???? .. are we to believe that graphics cards are 'better' than gaming cards???

No you are to believe they are more stable.  It is true that workstation cards have firmware that favors openGL over that of DirectX.

We are paying a pretty penny for the SW product - why aren't more cards "certified"????

SW tries to test all workstation cards.  They do work very very closely with Nvidia, who wants to sell workstation cards.

1. Are the graphics cards really that much better than the gaming cards???
                              1. For example, what is 'better' about the NVidia Quadro 4000 than the Nvidia Geforce 560 gtx?

You are out of date.  You should be comparing Quadro K2000 vs GTX 760    The GTX 5xx series does not seem 100% compatible while the GTX 6xx and GTX 7xx do not create errors. 

Why are there instabilites in the SW software? is it really that finicky and susceptible to artifacts that develop over time???

That is not a video card question.  Yes SW is not perfect.  With very large assemblies over the course of many hours even my W7000 gets weird on me.  But I got a lot done in that time so turning off Solidworks at lunch is OK.